Subject: The DROP TABLE instruction should have a TEMP option for when a temporary table

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 23:00:23 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/sql-createtable.html
Description:

Hi,

There is an obvious "issue" with temporary tables.

Case description:
We have a public table     public."myTooImportantTable"

Then you have a temporary table:
;CREATE TEMP TABLE "myTooImportantTable"

The issue is related to the intention of drop the temporary table:
;DROP TABLE "myTooImportantTable"   -- <--- this drop the 
"myTooImportantTable" 
;DROP TABLE "myTooImportantTable" -- <--- this drop the
public."myTooImportantTable"

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 20:33:20 -0400

> public."myTooImportantTable"

If you want to be sure you drop a temp table and not a regular one, say

DROP TABLE pg_temp.mytable;

There's no need for new syntax.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Pablo Benito <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 21:37:56 -0300

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot, for the response!

Yes, you are right, there is a secure way for drops, prefixing with the
schema name.
But, for this particular case, TEMPORARY tables, as a special way for
CREATE TABLE, It would be good to have also an special way for DROP TABLE.
(It is just an opinion)

Today I realized that,
and I've created my functions:

--/*
;CREATE FUNCTION "dailyDataProcessingEphemerals"."getTemporalSchemaName"()
RETURNS text
AS $$
SELECT quote_ident(nspname) FROM pg_namespace WHERE  oid =
pg_my_temp_schema();
$$ LANGUAGE SQL;

-- RUN AS: ;SELECT * FROM
"dailyDataProcessingEphemerals"."getTemporalSchemaName"()

;CREATE FUNCTION
"dailyDataProcessingEphemerals"."dropTemporalTableIfExists"("tableName"
text)
RETURNS void
LANGUAGE "plpgsql"
AS $$
BEGIN
EXECUTE 'DROP TABLE IF EXISTS ' || (SELECT "getTemporalSchemaName" FROM
"dailyDataProcessingEphemerals"."getTemporalSchemaName"()) || '.' ||
quote_ident("tableName");
END $$
--*/

Regards Pablo