Subject: Missing steps for "Building with Visual C++ or the Microsoft Windows SDK"

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 16:31:51 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/install-windows-full.html
Description:

Hi, 
I am not very experienced and some of these corrections may be trivial or
childish.

I have been following the steps for "Building with Visual C++ or the
Microsoft Windows SDK" for 9.6. using Visual Studio 2015.
Everything was pretty straightforward aside from a few things:

- I didn't find a config.pl file and wasn't sure if I created it what
exactly to put in it (I thought about copy/paste from the
"config_default.pl" but decided not to). Instead I added all the required
libraries to the system PATH. 

- After having successfully run "build" and "install" I was having issues
running the regression tests. "vcregress check" ran fine but after that I
kept getting this error:
-----------------------------------------------------
psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
        Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
------------------------------------------------------ 
Obviously, there was no server running. But I was never instructed to create
a data directory or user, and run "initDB" and "pgstl Start" before this
step. I think that should be added somewhere between to avoid confusion. (I
may be completely wrong and have missed some step somewhere)

Thanks 
Michael

---

From: Craig Ringer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 09:20:38 +0800

> libraries to the system PATH.

It wouldn't hurt to spell that out explicitly, though I would've assumed it
was implied by the filename and presence of a config_default.pl .

Please send a docs patch.

> running the regression tests. "vcregress check" ran fine but after that I

vcregress check should create a temporary datadir and start a temporary
server. If it fails to do so, there's something wrong with your setup. It's
likely this is related to the missing config.pl .

vcregress installcheck (different command) requires an existing running
server. But that's not what you ran.

-- 
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services