Subject: Re: windows docs?

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:59:25 +0200

> > I guess another alternative is jut remove faq_mswin from the main 
> > sources and then leave it up to cygwin/native projects to maintain 
> > thier own faqs, with perhaps a single question in the main 
> postgresql 
> > pointing to both of the other faqs... anyone have a preference?
> 
> The problem with our new FAQ is that much of it is installer 
> specific, so including it in the main distro which doesn't 
> include the installer code just seems wrong somehow. Perhaps 
> the existing faq should have a note in bold at the top 
> directing ppl to the installer FAQ if that's what they really 
> want, and leave the rest of the doc for Cygwin/Mingw specific issues.

It would be really good if we had a one-stop-shop for FAQ items for
Windows users, though... Look at the installer faq now for example - a
lot of those Qs are about postgreqsl itself and not the installer. But
that's where people look (or in the main FAQ, but not in both). Or we
can chose to live with duplicate questions... As long as we keep the
answers in sync.

//Magnus

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:47:32 -0400

> can chose to live with duplicate questions... As long as we keep the

Well, istm that the # of native users will grow larger than the number of 
cygwin users at some point in time (probably right after release, but hey).  
Personally I like the idea of a single win32 faq for the main branch with 
specific links to both a cygwin and native specific faqs, but barring that, 
we could combine both documents together and make a 3 sectioned windows 
specific faq, with a section on general stuff, cygwiun stuff, and native 
stuff.   Both projects could then just link to that faq. 

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL