Subject: 9.0.3 pdf manual is missing bookmarks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 08:15:23 +0200

Hi all,
the 9.0.2 has them, but 9.0.3 pdf documentation is missing the bookmarks.
When looking for something is a real pain having to always use find or 
switch back to TOC pages.

Any chance that you can generate and republish a corrected doc?

Thanks,
Gabriele

---

From: Josh Kupershmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:31:50 -0400

[CC'ing the -www list, since this affects the PDFs provided by the
website. Ugh, and resending without attachments since it looks like
the last attempt didn't make it to the list.]

> Any chance that you can generate and republish a corrected doc?

Hi Gabriele,

Thanks for taking the time to report this, and sorry for the delay in
following up. Just to clarify what (I think) Gabriele is complaining
about, here [1] is a screenshot from the Okular viewer of the
9.0.3 -A4 or -US PDFs from the website [2]. You can see that the
"Contents" pane in the top left is greyed out [3].

When I built these PDFs from the 9.0.3 tarball myself, the results
looked better [4]. Assuming this fixes Gabriele's problem, could we
update the website with the fixed versions [5] of the 9.0.3 PDFs?

Also, I noticed that the page of PDFs is not consistent with the PDF
naming scheme wrt. minor version numbers. We provide e.g.
"postgresql-8.4.6-A4.pdf" and "postgresql-9.0-A4.pdf". Personally, I
like having the minor version number included, but could we just be
consistent either way?

Josh

--
Footnotes / links:
[1] see http://kupershmidt.org/pg/screenshot_9.0.3_missing.png
[2] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/
[3] The 8.2 A4 PDF appears to also be missing the Contents pane, or
"bookmarks", plus its index on page 1759 is missing entirely.
[4] see http://kupershmidt.org/pg/screenshot_9.0.3_fixed.png
[5] Fixed 9.0.3 PDFs:
 a.) http://kupershmidt.org/pg/postgres-9.0.3-A4_fixed.pdf
 b.) http://kupershmidt.org/pg/postgres-9.0.3-US_fixed.pdf

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 08:57:17 +0200

> update the website with the fixed versions [5] of the 9.0.3 PDFs?

Could this be because of the efforts to reduce the size of the pdf's that
was implemented a while ago?

> like having the minor version number included, but could we just be

We have a standard now, 8.4 just predates it. The standard is without the
minor version, and the reasining behind this is both that it decreases
storage requiremenyåts and more imoortant that a new version doesn't
invalidate all old links, both on our own sites and othets...

/Magnus

---

From: Cédric Villemain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 10:23:39 +0200

> invalidate all old links, both on our own sites and othets...

In http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/  the 8.4 pdf file is the
only one misnamed then.

-- 
Cédric Villemain               2ndQuadrant
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/     PostgreSQL : Expertise, Formation et Support

---

From: Josh Kupershmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 11:22:32 -0400

> was implemented a while ago?

I used jpdftweak as described[1] with the jpdftweak "normal" version
[2], and the compressed PDFs produced looked fine as well, see
compressed output PDFs here:
  * http://kupershmidt.org/pg/postgres-9.0.3-US_compressed_fixed.pdf
  * http://kupershmidt.org/pg/postgres-9.0.3-A4_compressed_fixed.pdf

Josh

--
[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2010-09/msg00124.php
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpdftweak/files/jpdftweak/jpdftweak-1.0/jpdftweak-1.0.zip/download

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 03:17:33 +0300

> like having the minor version number included, but could we just be

It is probably my fault, but I'm too lazy to fix it, since I will also
have to fix RPM spec files, etc. The problem will go away when we EOL
8.4 3 years later or so :)
-- 
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Principal Systems Engineer @ EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Danışmanı/Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
Community: devrim~PostgreSQL.org, devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr
http://www.gunduz.org  Twitter: http://twitter.com/devrimgunduz

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 03:20:33 +0300

On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 11:22 -0400, Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
> [2], and the compressed PDFs produced looked fine as well

I'm confused.

This is the script that I'm using:

java -jar jpdftweak.jar -i $i -savebookmarks $i-bookmarks.csv
java -jar jpdftweak.jar -i $i -loadbookmarks $i-bookmarks.csv -os $i.new

(where $i is the filename)

Is that different from what you did?

Regards,

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

---

From: Josh Kupershmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:10:23 -0400

> Is that different from what you did?

I ran:
java -jar jpdftweak.jar postgres-A4.pdf -os
postgres-9.0.3-A4_compressed_fixed.pdf

(taken from Magnus in the linked thread).

Josh

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 08:26:00 +0200

Thank you so much for the effort, i appreciate it.
The attached 9.0.3 manuals (fixed and compressed) now have bookmarks.
But...
my merciless censoship uncovered that the just published 9.0.4 pdf is 
again without bookmarks :)

Gabriele

Josh Kupershmidt <[email-masked]> 
19/04/2011 04:10

Per
Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
CC
Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked]
Oggetto
Re: [pgsql-www] [DOCS] 9.0.3 pdf manual is missing bookmarks

I ran:

Josh

---

From: Josh Kupershmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:32:35 -0400

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:26 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:
> my merciless censoship uncovered that the just published 9.0.4 pdf is again without bookmarks :)

Here are fixed versions of the 9.0.4 PDFs:
 * http://kupershmidt.org/pg/postgres-9.0.4-A4_compressed_fixed.pdf
 * http://kupershmidt.org/pg/postgres-9.0.4-US_compressed_fixed.pdf

Josh

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 07:52:21 +0200

Thank you again Josh.
Could it be possible to fix the build procedure accordingly? Just to avoid 
that i hassle you all again for the next release...
Do you need that i open a bug for that?

Gabriele

20/04/2011 01:32

Per
[email-masked]
CC
Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>, Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked], [email-masked]
Oggetto
Re: Re: [pgsql-www] [DOCS] 9.0.3 pdf manual is missing bookmarks

Josh

---

From: Josh Kupershmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 19:21:39 -0400

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 1:52 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Thank you again Josh.
> Could it be possible to fix the build procedure accordingly? Just to avoid that i hassle you all again for the next release...

Devrim, or anyone else running the website, any chance of getting this
fixed? I think you could just use the 9.0.4 PDFs I posted if you don't
want to regenerate yourself. Let me know if there's anything else I
can do to help.

Thanks
Josh

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 23:56:22 -0400 (EDT)

> want to regenerate yourself. Let me know if there's anything else I

Why does our web site still have non-bookmark 9.0.4 PDFs:

	http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/9.0/postgresql-9.0-US.pdf

The correct versions are here:

Did we find out how the bookmarks got removed in the first place?

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

  + It's impossible for everything to be true. +

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 10:12:51 +0300

> Why does our web site still have non-bookmark 9.0.4 PDFs:

...because I was away for work and then Formula 1.

> Did we find out how the bookmarks got removed in the first place? 

Thom asked me to upgrade jpdtweak to 1.0 yesterday, and it fixed the
issue. I'm not sure why it happened though -- I was using 0.9.5 since
the beginning.

Anyway, 9.0-A4 is on website now. I just committed 9.0-US to svn, so it
will appear in next site build.

Regards,

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 10:22:54 -0400 (EDT)

Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> will appear in next site build.

Thanks.  I can confirm that the 9.0-US PDF now has bookmarks.  FYI, the
PDF is now 18MB;  previously it was 8MB without bookmarks.  That's 10MB
of bookmarks.  :-O

---

From: Thom Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 15:25:08 +0100

> PDF is now 18MB;  previously it was 8MB without bookmarks.  That's 10MB

That can't be a compacted version then.

-- 
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 17:36:24 +0300

> That can't be a compacted version then. 

/me grumbles.

Ok, uploading correct ones in 10 minutes.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 16:37:11 +0200

Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]> scritti il 10/05/2011 16:22:54

> PDF is now 18MB;  previously it was 8MB without bookmarks.  That's 10MB
I think it should be compressed.
The compressed version produced by Josh is just 8Mb with all the 
bookmarks.

Gabriele

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 21:35:05 -0400 (EDT)

Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> Ok, uploading correct ones in 10 minutes.

I can confirm the PDFs look good now.  Thanks.