Subject: PDF docs

From: Vince Vielhaber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 05:56:41 -0500 (EST)

Who generated the PDF docs for 7.2?  Remember how it was done?  Is
there a script somewhere for it?

Vince.
-- 
   http://www.meanstreamradio.com       http://www.unknown-artists.com
         Internet radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:52:27 -0500

> there a script somewhere for it?

Thomas has always done that in the past.  There is some basic info
about it in the docs:
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/doc-build.html
(see B.3.3), but I got the impression that he always did a great deal
of manual tweaking in the process.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Peter Mount <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 15:01:20 +0000 (GMT)

> of manual tweaking in the process.

IIRC tables didn't format correctly (occasionally split over pages).

Also (not sure if previous post made it), the docbook->PDF generated badly
implemented files (~30% bigger than need be) [caused by pdftex].

Peter

---

From: Thomas Lockhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 15:33:19 +0000

>>of manual tweaking in the process.

The amount of tweaking went way down in the last couple of releases 
since I identified the misformed but easily fixed rtf (in the opinion of 
ApplixWare) generated by OpenJade. Look at doc/src/sgml/fixrtf for a 
little utility to do that. OpenOffice seems to be happy with the rtf, 
though I can't remember if I applied "fixrtf" first.

However, I did not generate documents for 7.2. Folks seemed to have 
concluded that it was not a useful feature and were not willing to 
accomodate it in the release process, so I stopped doing that.

Peter E. generated documents automatically for 7.2 (using tex rather 
than rtf->word processor->ps) and it has the deficiencies noted below as 
one would expect since they are well known issues to the OpenJade community.

The "manual tweaking" is a requirement for high-quality docs no matter 
what path you choose; hopefully someone will realize that and decide to 
put in some work.

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 20:29:29 +0100 (CET)

> there a script somewhere for it?

I created the ones for 7.2.  I just used 'gmake admin.pdf' etc. after some
heavy stylesheet hacking, but I hope that that won't be necessary again.
I'll look into it this week.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut   [email-masked]

---

From: Vince Vielhaber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 19:20:51 -0500 (EST)

> I'll look into it this week.

Great!  Thanks!

Vince.