Subject: CHM help format

From: "Doug Cook" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:59:30 -0800

Is there any plan to support the Microsoft "Compiled HTML Help" format?
For me, it is always the most convenient way to access the docs.

I've made a CHM file that I use personally.
http://www.cookiemonsters.org/MS_Help.zip.   Perhaps it would be of use
to other developers.  It lacks an index, and the table of contents is
incomplete (you have to browse to the deep pages instead of using the
table of contents to go there directly), but it has full-text search and
has been useful for me.

Postgresql-7.3.chm - This is the redistributed file containing all of
the HTML files + the full-text search index.

Table of Contents.hhc - This is the Table of Contents file.  It is a
text file that could potentially be generated from the sgml docs with a
Perl script.  It is currently incomplete - it only has the top two or
three levels.

PostgreSQL.hhp - This is a Microsoft HTML Help Workshop project file,
containing settings for regenerating the CHM file.  It is also a text
file, and could also be generated by a Perl script after documentation
updates.

Words.stp - This is a stop list of words that should not be indexed by
the full-text search index.

To regenerate the CHM file (after updates to the documentation files,
for example):  The hhp and hhc files expect the HTML to have been
extracted to a subdirectory called "HTML" and that the FAQs are in
src/FAQ.

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 00:02:40 +0100 (CET)

> Is there any plan to support the Microsoft "Compiled HTML Help" format?

No, but if you would like to tell us how to generate and test it, we could
be interested.  AFAIK, the standard DocBook style sheets support HTML Help
output, so much of the work might already be done.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut   [email-masked]