Subject: Is there a PDF version of the PostgreSQL 7.3.2 documentation ?

From: "Bruno Baguette" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:10:43 +0200

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a PDF version of the PostgreSQL 7.3.2
documentation ? If yes, where can i found this PDF file ?

Thanks in advance ! :-)

--
-------------------------------------------------------
Bruno Baguette - [email-masked]

---

From: Bruno Wolff III <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:46:03 -0500

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:10:43 +0200,

---

From: Joe Conway <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:22:06 -0700

> documentation ? If yes, where can i found this PDF file ?

I built and posted a copy here:
   http://www.joeconway.com/

You can make them for yourself if you have the documentation build tool 
chain, e.g.:

cd doc/src/sgml
make admin.pdf developer.pdf reference.pdf
make programmer.pdf tutorial.pdf user.pdf

HTH,

Joe

---

From: Oliver Elphick <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Apr 2003 05:24:41 +0100

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 17:46, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >From a US mirror:
> ftp://ftp.us.postgresql.org/doc/current
> 
> There are separate pdf files for different parts of the documentation there.

In spite of the name of that directory, those are all for 7.2.  There
are still no official pdf or ps files for 7.3 anywhere.

-- 
Oliver Elphick                                [email-masked]
Isle of Wight, UK                             http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
GPG: 1024D/3E1D0C1C: CA12 09E0 E8D5 8870 5839  932A 614D 4C34 3E1D 0C1C
                 ========================================
     "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to 
      become the sons of God, even to them that believe on 
      his name."    John 1:12

---

From: "Bruno Baguette" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:15:58 +0200

Hello,

"CoL" <[email-masked]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email-masked]...
> Wow, cool!:) Why
> http://www.joeconway.com/postgres_pdf-7.3.2.tar.gz
>
> But at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/#pdfs they aren't there. Why?
>
> C.

I agree with "CoL", theses PDF files should be available from the Docs part
of the PostgreSQL website (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/).

Maybe the PostgreSQL webmaster should ask the Joe Conway approval in order
to copy theses PDF files ???

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Apr 2003 10:33:39 -0400

> to copy theses PDF files ???

Joe, 
any problems with me putting this up on the www site? I'll try to
coordinate to get it on the ftp mirrors as well. 

Robert Treat

---

From: Joe Conway <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 07:57:04 -0700

> coordinate to get it on the ftp mirrors as well. 

No problems with me -- all I did was run `make` ;-)

However, see the section "Applixware RTF Cleanup" at this url:
http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/doc-build.html

It refers to cleanup for hardcopy purposes, but I thought the "official" 
pdfs were made from the cleaned up postscript file in the past. Please 
note that I did *not* do the clean up steps; I literally just ran `make 
filename.pdf`

Joe

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:10:27 -0400 (EDT)

> note that I did *not* do the clean up steps; I literally just ran `make 

I thought those cleanups weren't used anymore.  There were for old
Applix bugs, and we don't use Applix anymore.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Apr 2003 13:16:14 -0400

> > No problems with me -- all I did was run `make` ;-)

I tried to do that with CVS head (understanding I really should check
out the 7.3 branch for what we're talking about) and it failed for me,
something about PARA type not allowed. I also notice that the cvs build
instructions suggest the names for the old books, this will need to be
changed at some point I think. 
 
> Applix bugs, and we don't use Applix anymore.

I thought I remember someone (Peter? Thomas Lockhart?) mentioning that
there was some cleanup they did for the 7.2 pdf's.  I'm still inclined
to just post these as it seems unlikely that whomever did them before
will have availability to do it again, and after skimming through the
ones Joe built I don't see anything atrocious. 

Robert Treat

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 02:22:37 +0200 (CEST)

> ones Joe built I don't see anything atrocious.

There are two known ways of creating print versions of the documentation:
1: -> RTF -> manual cleanup in some wordprocessor -> save as PS/PDF; 2 ->
TeX file -> pdfjadetex.  I don't know what kind of artifacts the version 1
output contains, but over time version 2 got good enough that we started
using it some time ago.  The output isn't "perfect", but I wouldn't worry
about it.  If you're so inclined, you can do manual fixes in the
intermediate TeX file.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut   [email-masked]