Subject: pdf/ps docs for 7.4?

From: Bruno Wolff III <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:00:02 -0600

Are there going to be postscript or pdf versions of the 7.4 documentation
available for download?

I would like to make a paper copy of the new manual and I have not been
able to build a postscript version of the document from source.

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:06:05 +0100 (CET)

> Are there going to be postscript or pdf versions of the 7.4 documentation

We would first need someone to volunteer to make them.

> able to build a postscript version of the document from source.

It's about 1100 pages.  Good luck stapling that together. :-)

-- 
Peter Eisentraut   [email-masked]

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:00:40 -0500 (EST)

> We would first need someone to volunteer to make them.

What is the gmake command to generate PDF docs? I can give it a try but
I don't see the rule in the makefile.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: Oliver Elphick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 02:18:23 +0000

> I don't see the rule in the makefile.

cd doc/src/sgml
make postgres.pdf

but openjade falls over:
openjade  -D . -c
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/dsssl/modular/catalog -d \
        stylesheet.dsl -t tex -V tex-backend -i output-print -V \
        texpdf-output -o postgres.tex-pdf postgres.sgml
openjade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/dsssl/modular/print/dbdivis.dsl:100:3:E: flow object not accepted by port; only display flow objects accepted
make: *** [postgres.tex-pdf] Segmentation fault
make: *** Deleting file `postgres.tex-pdf'

I've asked Debian's openjade maintainer for assistance, so I'll let you
know if I get any.

-- 
Oliver Elphick                                [email-masked]
Isle of Wight, UK                             http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
GPG: 1024D/3E1D0C1C: CA12 09E0 E8D5 8870 5839  932A 614D 4C34 3E1D 0C1C
                 ========================================
     "A Song for the sabbath day. It is a good thing to 
      give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto 
      thy name, O most High."   Psalms 92:1

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:48:05 -0500 (EST)

I found I could build them if I do a make html first, then a make
postgres.pdf.

Once run, I am seeing these failures:
	
	pdfjadetex postgres.tex-pdf
	This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-13d (Web2C 7.3.1)
	(postgres.tex-pdf[/usr/contrib/teTeX/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg]
	JadeTeX 1999/06/29: 2.7
	(/usr/contrib/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/t1ptm.fd)
	(/usr/contrib/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/jadetex/isoents.tex)
	Elements will be labelled
	Jade begin document sequence at 19
	No file postgres.aux.
	(/usr/contrib/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/ot2cyr/ot2wncyr.fd)
	(/usr/contrib/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/ts1cmr.fd)
	(/usr/contrib/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/lucidabr/lmrhlcm.fd)
	(/usr/contrib/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-pdf.tex
	(/usr/contrib/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-mis.tex
	loading : Context Support Macros / Missing
	)
	loading : Context Support Macros / PDF
	) (/usr/contrib/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/t1phv.fd) [1.0.18[/usr/contr
	ib/teTeX/share/texmf/dvips/config/pdftex.map]]
	(/usr/contrib/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/ts1ptm.fd) [2.0.18]
	
	LaTeX Warning: Reference `PREFACE' on page 3 undefined on input line 494.

	LaTeX Warning: Reference `INTRO-WHATIS' on page 3 undefined on input line 525.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oliver Elphick wrote:
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [email-masked])
>

---

From: Christopher Browne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:54:18 -0500

> I've asked Debian's openjade maintainer for assistance, so I'll let you

If it can wait 'til next week, I can take a look at it, as I'm fairly
familiar with the tools.  Sadly, a week today's the earliest I can
conceivably touch it.
-- 
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/multiplexor.html
"Language shapes the  way we think   and determines what we can  think
about." -- Benjamin Whorf

---

From: Bruno Wolff III <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 06:34:34 -0600

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 21:06:05 +0100,
> It's about 1100 pages.  Good luck stapling that together. :-)

I was planning on using a three hole binder and printing on both sides
of the paper.

I did print out a copy of the documentation in the past (7.1 I think)
and it wasn't too bad. There was some redundancy in the documents when
there were separate manuals instead of one big manual, so I am thinking
the current manual should take less paper to print.

---

From: Oliver Elphick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:13:05 +0000

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 02:54, Christopher Browne wrote:
...
> > but openjade falls over:
...
> familiar with the tools.  Sadly, a week today's the earliest I can

The Debian maintainer is looking.

Bruce said he managed to build it by building postgres.html first, but
that didn't work for me.

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:17:50 -0500 (EST)

> Bruce said he managed to build it by building postgres.html first, but

It built much farther, but failed with unreferenced sections errors.

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Nov 2003 11:05:49 -0500

Can we add some kind of regression test, or at least a note in the
release process somewhere, to ensure that *someone* can build html/pdf
copies of the docs. I'm not even too concerned if it requires a narrow
toolset, but it's something we ought to have ready for 7.5 when it goes
out the door.

Robert Treat

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 17:17, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:51:36 -0500 (EST)

> toolset, but it's something we ought to have ready for 7.5 when it goes

Agreed.  I think I have the toolset working, but the build is failing
and I can't figure out why.