Subject: Re: Replication documentation addition

From: "Luke Lonergan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:56:16 -0400

Bruce, 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bruce Momjian
> Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 5:16 PM
> To: Hannu Krosing
> Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation; PostgreSQL-development
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition
> 
> 
> OK, I have updated the URL.  Please let me know how you like it.

There's a typo on line 8, first paragraph:

"perhaps with only one server allowing write rwork together at the same
time."

Also, consider this wording of the last description:

"Single-Query Clustering..."

Replaced by:

"Shared Nothing Clustering
-----------------------

This allows multiple servers with separate disks to work together on a
each query.
In shared nothing clusters, the work of answering each query is
distributed among
the servers to increase the performance through parallelism.  These
systems will
typically feature high availability by using other forms of replication
internally.

While there are no open source options for this type of clustering,
there are several
commercial products available that implement this approach, making
PostgreSQL achieve
very high performance for multi-Terabyte business intelligence
databases."

- Luke

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:57:46 -0400 (EDT)

I don't think the PostgreSQL documentation should be mentioning
commercial solutions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 
  Bruce Momjian   [email-masked]
  EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---

From: Hannu Krosing <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:37:57 +0300

> I don't think the PostgreSQL documentation should be mentioning

IMNSHO, having commercial solutions based on postgresql which extend
postgres in directions not (yet?) done by core postgres is nothing to be
ashamed of.

And we should at least mention the OSS version of Bizgres as a place
where quite a lot of initial development is done on performance
improvements considered too risky for mainline postgresql.

And if you need a more technical reason, you can use free libpq and psql
to connect to even Bizgres MPP ;)

-- 
----------------
Hannu Krosing
Database Architect
Skype Technologies OÜ
Akadeemia tee 21 F, Tallinn, 12618, Estonia

Skype me:  callto:hkrosing
Get Skype for free:  http://www.skype.com

---

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:36:55 +0200

> I don't think the PostgreSQL documentation should be 
> mentioning commercial solutions.

I think maybe the PostgreSQL documentation should be careful about
trying to list a "complete list" of commercial *or* free solutions.
Instead linking to something on the main website or on techdocs that can
more easily be updated.

//Magnus

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:28:15 -0400 (EDT)

I have added this text:

	Commercial Solutions
	--------------------
	
	Because PostgreSQL is open source and easily extended, a number of
	companies have taken PostgreSQL and created commercial closed-source
	solutions with unique failover, replication, and load balancing
	capabilities.

Hannu Krosing wrote:
> ?hel kenal p?eval, T, 2006-10-24 kell 22:57, kirjutas Bruce Momjian:
> Skype Technologies O?

---

From: Casey Duncan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:49:31 -0700

Totally agree. The docs will tend to outlive whatever projects or  
websites they mention. Best to not bake that into stone.

-Casey

On Oct 25, 2006, at 3:36 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> ---------------------------(end of  
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>
>                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq