Subject: mingw.org fails to load anything of value

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2021 11:01:16 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/installation-platform-notes.html
Description:

16.7.4. MinGW/Native Windows refers to the site http://www.mingw.org which
for me loads a blank page

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2021 09:30:08 -0400

> for me loads a blank page

Checking it out this morning, it went to a domain parking page.

Going off of Wikipedia[1], it seems that this is the project page:

https://mingw.osdn.io/

It gets better. The HTTPS link to mingw-w64.org has a cert invalid
error, though the HTTP link works fine.

So I guess we need a few updates. I could propose a patch in a few moments.

Jonathan

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MinGW

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2021 09:47:08 -0400

> So I guess we need a few updates. I could propose a patch in a few moments.

Diving deeper while updating the links, I stumbled across this note:

"The MinGW.org web‑site is undergoing an overhaul, whilst in the process
of transferring to a new hosting provider. During this transitional
phase, some pages may be temporarily unavailable."[1]

So it appears this is part of a migration.

Anyway, here is a patch updating the URLs.

Jonathan

[1] https://mingw.osdn.io/index.html?page=docs.html

diff --git a/doc/src/sgml/install-windows.sgml b/doc/src/sgml/install-windows.sgml
index 64687b12e6..9ae8bb50ca 100644
--- a/doc/src/sgml/install-windows.sgml
+++ b/doc/src/sgml/install-windows.sgml
@@ -230,7 +230,7 @@ $ENV{MSBFLAGS}="/m";
      <para>
       Both <productname>Bison</productname> and <productname>Flex</productname>
       are included in the <productname>msys</productname> tool suite, available
-      from <ulink url="http://www.mingw.org/wiki/MSYS"></ulink> as part of the
+      from <ulink url="https://mingw.osdn.io"></ulink> as part of the
       <productname>MinGW</productname> compiler suite.
      </para>
 
diff --git a/doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml b/doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml
index 66ad4ba938..e9d433233b 100644
--- a/doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml
+++ b/doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml
@@ -982,7 +982,7 @@ build-postgresql:
          <filename>configure</filename> will check for the required
          header files and libraries to make sure that your
          <productname>OpenSSL</productname> installation is sufficient
-         before proceeding. 
+         before proceeding.
         </para>
        </listitem>
       </varlistentry>
@@ -2455,14 +2455,14 @@ xcrun --show-sdk-path
     those).  MinGW, the Unix-like build tools, and MSYS, a collection
     of Unix tools required to run shell scripts
     like <command>configure</command>, can be downloaded
-    from <ulink url="http://www.mingw.org/"></ulink>.  Neither is
+    from <ulink url="https://mingw.osdn.io"></ulink>.  Neither is
     required to run the resulting binaries; they are needed only for
     creating the binaries.
    </para>
 
    <para>
      To build 64 bit binaries using MinGW, install the 64 bit tool set
-     from <ulink url="https://mingw-w64.org/"></ulink>, put its bin
+     from <ulink url="http://mingw-w64.org"></ulink>, put its bin
      directory in the <envar>PATH</envar>, and run
      <command>configure</command> with the
      <command>--host=x86_64-w64-mingw32</command> option.

---

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 10:30:16 +0900

> Anyway, here is a patch updating the URLs.

Are we sure that mingw.org is completely dead?  The message showing up
on their site seems to mean that this URL change is just temporary?
--
Michael

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2021 22:08:44 -0400

> on their site seems to mean that this URL change is just temporary?

We would have to ask directly to clarify, but mingw.org domain itslf
looks very much like a parked domain.

Jonathan