Subject: dblink_get_result returns NULL if remote query throws error

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 15:41:00 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/contrib-dblink-get-result.html
Description:

Please consider clarifying this page:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/contrib-dblink-get-result.html
to state that if you call 
select dblink_get_result ('mylink',false), you will receive back a NULL if
the remote query threw an error. It is not clear on the page. At least an
example would be nice.

Thanks!

---

From: Joe Conway <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 13:06:09 -0400

> the remote query threw an error. It is not clear on the page. At least an

I will look at this as well as the similar one from a month+ ago that
has been languishing in my inbox.

Joe

-- 
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com
PostgreSQL Support for Secure Enterprises
Consulting, Training, & Open Source Development

---

From: Joe Conway <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 14:52:45 -0400

> has been languishing in my inbox.

Actually, the doc page says this:

8<--------------
fail_on_error

    If true (the default when omitted) then an error thrown on the
remote side of the connection causes an error to also be thrown locally.
If false, the remote error is locally reported as a NOTICE, and the
function returns no rows.
8<--------------

The case you describe does *not* return NULL, it returns no rows, which
is exactly what the above says. I don't see anything needing fixing. If
you have evidence otherwise, please provide an example.

Joe