Subject: Can take filesystem bkp of pg data folder when server is running

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 06:00:15 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/backup-file.html
Description:

I am running postgresql 10 on mac and was experimenting on backup and
restore features of PG 10
I certainly can take FS backup of the cluster with TAR when server is
running and with ACTIVE client connections [dummy begin; statement]

This seems against the documented explanation for FS backup method and its
limitation.

Is there something I am missing here?

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 23:59:56 -0500

> Is there something I am missing here?

It might work sometimes, especially if you are trying it on a dummy
setup, but it's not going to work in general.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services