Subject: create publication descendant tables

From: Brian Faherty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 09:23:32 -0400

I was looking at the `CREATE PUBLICATION FOR TABLE table *;` and I ended up
with a few questions.

1.) Can '*' ever be used since it includes the parent table along with the
child which then results in a error being thrown about parent tables not
being able to be replicated?
2.) Will it only work on current descendants or will it also work on future
descendants?

For quick reference:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-createpublication.html

-- 
Brian Faherty

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 21:44:56 -0400

On 3/19/18 09:23, Brian Faherty wrote:
> 1.) Can '*' ever be used since it includes the parent table along with
> the child which then results in a error being thrown about parent tables
> not being able to be replicated?

There is a difference between partition roots (which can't be added) and
inheritance roots (which can).

> 2.) Will it only work on current descendants or will it also work on
> future descendants?

only current

-- 
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services