Subject: wal_sync_method

From: "Jaime Casanova" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 00:10:43 -0500

The documentation said in
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/wal-reliability.html in the
fourth paragraph (the one that talks about disk drive cache):
"""
On Windows if wal_sync_method is open_datasync (the default),
"""

But in my freshly 8.3.1 instalation on win xp, the default is
"fsync"... is a *bug* in the docs :)

-- 
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova
Soporte y capacitación de PostgreSQL
Guayaquil - Ecuador
Cel. (593) 087171157

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 12:55:09 -0400

> "fsync"... is a *bug* in the docs :)

More like a bug in the code.  Does it let you set the value to
open_datasync?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Jaime Casanova" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 13:27:48 -0500

> More like a bug in the code.  Does it let you set the value to

yes it does...

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 14:45:16 -0400

[ redirecting to -bugs ]

> yes it does...

Well, that's just bizarre.  I found a problem in CVS HEAD that would
lead to a bogus selection of the default for wal_sync_method, but it
doesn't apply to 8.3.  I really don't see how 8.3 would fail to use
open_datasync as the default if it's an available value.  Did you
build 8.3.1 yourself, and if so how?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Jaime Casanova" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 13:52:22 -0500

> build 8.3.1 yourself, and if so how?

nop, default installer downloaded from postgresql.org...