Subject: Link to "Upgrading a PostgreSQL Cluster" in Release Notes

From: Vik Fearing <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 00:03:01 +0100

Following a complaint on IRC about the dearth of information on how to
migrate to a new major version in the release notes, the attached
trivial patch was determined to be sufficient for the OP.

This patch applies to REL_12_STABLE.  I don't know how far it should be
backpatched (the OP was trying to upgrade to v10), and I didn't see any
place to put it for 13 and future versions.

-- 

Vik Fearing

diff --git a/doc/src/sgml/release-12.sgml b/doc/src/sgml/release-12.sgml
index dfa3851913..62cdbba2d5 100644
--- a/doc/src/sgml/release-12.sgml
+++ b/doc/src/sgml/release-12.sgml
@@ -1216,6 +1216,8 @@ Branch: REL9_4_STABLE [8f8809091] 2019-10-04 15:38:36 -0400
     A dump/restore using <xref linkend="app-pg-dumpall"/>, or use of <xref
     linkend="pgupgrade"/>, is required for those wishing to migrate data
     from any previous release.
+    See <xref linkend="upgrading"/> for general information on migrating to
+    new major releases.
    </para>
 
    <para>

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 09:57:10 +0100

> place to put it for 13 and future versions.

I think this change is sensible.  But to what extent do we want to edit 
around in old release notes?  Should we just keep it for PG13?

I think we should also extend the blurb in the release notes to mention 
the option of using logical replication to upgrade.  Otherwise, if you 
follow the link you propose, then one might think that logical 
replication upgrading is not applicable since only pg_dump and 
pg_upgrade were mentioned in the place the link came from.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 11:00:36 +0100

> around in old release notes?  Should we just keep it for PG13?

I think it makes sense to backpatch it. Lots of people still upgrade to at
least 12 and 11, and that's a likely place for them to start reading. And
if we're already covering 12 and 11, it is probably no big extra effort to
do other supported branches as well.

> pg_upgrade were mentioned in the place the link came from.
+1.

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/ <http://www.hagander.net/>
 Work: https://www.redpill-linpro.com/ <http://www.redpill-linpro.com/>

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 16:19:44 +0100

On 2020-01-03 11:00, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I think it makes sense to backpatch it. Lots of people still upgrade to 
> at least 12 and 11, and that's a likely place for them to start reading. 
> And if we're already covering 12 and 11, it is probably no big extra 
> effort to do other supported branches as well.

Committed to 12, 11, 10.  After that the patch didn't apply anymore and 
nobody should be upgrading to that anyway.

---

From: Vik Fearing <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 19:22:00 +0100

On 09/01/2020 16:19, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>      > Following a complaint on IRC about the dearth of information on
>>     how to
>>      > migrate to a new major version in the release notes, the attached
>>      > trivial patch was determined to be sufficient for the OP.
>>      >
>>      > This patch applies to REL_12_STABLE.  I don't know how far it
>>     should be
>>      > backpatched (the OP was trying to upgrade to v10), and I didn't
>>     see any
>>      > place to put it for 13 and future versions.
>>
>> I think it makes sense to backpatch it. Lots of people still upgrade
>> to at least 12 and 11, and that's a likely place for them to start
>> reading. And if we're already covering 12 and 11, it is probably no
>> big extra effort to do other supported branches as well.
>
> Committed to 12, 11, 10.  After that the patch didn't apply anymore
> and nobody should be upgrading to that anyway.
>

Thanks!  And thanks for adding the logical replication text, too.

-- 

Vik Fearing