Subject: Request temporary freeze of libpgtcl chapter in manual

From: ljb <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 01:01:20 +0000 (UTC)

I have a new project to extend and finish up pgtcl, the Tcl interface to
PostgreSQL. This continues the effort to unbundle interfaces from the
PostgreSQL core.  Along with the software, I will be releasing a
stand-alone reference manual, which started life as libpgtcl.sgml from the
PostgreSQL core reference manual, but has been expanded, and portions were
rewritten.  I would like to request that no changes be made to the libpgtcl
chapter in the PostgreSQL reference manual, at least for the near term,
beyond file revision 1.40 in CVS.  Otherwise,  I can't promise any changes
you make will end up in my version of the manual, in the event that the
unbundling effort is successful.  Is this OK?

---

From: "Henry B. Hotz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 15:01:04 -0800

At 1:01 AM +0000 2/20/04, ljb wrote:
>I would like to request that no changes be made to the libpgtcl

I'm not contributing, so it's not an issue for me.

However isn't the whole point of CVS to make re-merging changes like this easy?
-- 
The opinions expressed in this message are mine,
not those of Caltech, JPL, NASA, or the US Government.
[email-masked], or [email-masked]

---

From: L J Bayuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 21:30:53 -0500 (EST)

> However isn't the whole point of CVS to make re-merging changes like this easy?

Yes, in normal cases CVS would handle this, but the goal is to unbundle
the Pgtcl interface and its manual from the core PostgreSQL product. This
means there will be no more Pgtcl chapter in the PostgreSQL manual - just
like there is no longer a chapter on the Perl interface. I've made so many
changes to my version of this material that it is unlikely either could
be merged into the other.

My new Pgtcl version and its manual have now been released at:
   http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgtclng/
There is an unpacked version of the manual for viewing on my own site:
   http://lbayuk.home.mindspring.com/pgtcldocs/
but this is temporary, and I would like to find a more permanent place
for it. There doesn't seem to be a way to put a docbook-generated
manual on gborg.postgresql.org. I wonder if they would allow it on
techdocs.postgresql.org.

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:59:56 -0500

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 21:30, L J Bayuk wrote:
> > >beyond file revision 1.40 in CVS.  Otherwise,  I can't promise any
> > > changes you make will end up in my version of the manual, in the event
> > > that the unbundling effort is successful.  Is this OK?
> >

I'd prefer to have the documentation live closer to the project than to have 
it up on techdocs, though techdocs is probably better than someone personal 
home page.  

Chris, is there some way to accomplish this with gborg?

Josh, is this something that Gforge would give us?

Anyone know what the guys working on the perl interface have done?  

Robert Treat
-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: ljb <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 02:30:53 +0000 (UTC)

[email-masked] wrote:
>...

My mistake. I see that the Perl interface documentation was never part of
the PostgreSQL Programmer's Manual. The Perl interface documentation lives
inside the Pg.pm file and ends up installed and readable with perldoc. Bad
example.

I think there was a request on Gborg about project documentation, and
the answer was to use the "genpage" feature. That's OK for a few pages with
little cross-referencing, but I don't think it is practical for
DocBook-generated manuals.

Perhaps it isn't that important to have an unpacked version of the manual
readable on the web. But for this first release, I just wanted to make it
easier for people to look at, especially those who might be asking: are
we unbundled yet?