Subject: ANSI SQL-2003 conformance

From: Simon Riggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:20:37 +0000

IIRC there was some discussion earlier about including a (possibly
detailed) assessment of ANSI SQL-2003 conformance in the docs for 8.0.

My understanding was that there were people actually working on that.

Where are we with that? Anybody got news? 

-- 
Best Regards, Simon Riggs

---

From: elein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 19:29:31 -0800

Troels and I are working on this.  We have a bit started.
I have been a bit to swamped to add anything for the last
two or three weeks.  I suspect Troels is in the same position.

We have the documents and a sketchy work plan.  There is a 
lot of stuff here, obviously.  Wanna help?

--elein
[email-masked]

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 11:20:37PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>       subscribe-nomail command to [email-masked] so that your
>       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly
>

---

From: Simon Riggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:12:37 +0000

> lot of stuff here, obviously.  Wanna help?

Given how close we are to 8.0, we should just do a summary for the
release notes at least. I'll help with that... but not with the Full
Monty. :)

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:35:52 +0100

> two or three weeks.  I suspect Troels is in the same position.

I think you should just submit incremental patches for the relevant 
files.  That way others can continue the work.  No one expects a full 
conformance analysis on the spot.  But if you wait much longer, the 
release will be out and for the next one we'll have 97 new features to 
work in.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

---

From: elein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:37:59 -0800

I agree with Peter.  Simon you can contact me to see the
work in progress (such as it is) and feel free to 
submit immediate doc patches.

--elein
[email-masked]

---

From: Troels Arvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:49:54 +0100

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:35:52 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> files.

My best shot is still
http://troels.arvin.dk/db/pgsql/conformance/pgsql-sql-conformance.patch

There are a number of features which are currently set to conformance=no
but which might actually be implemented. That list hasn't changed from
this post: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-docs/2004-10/msg00050.php

> But if you wait much longer
[...]

I agree that it's getting late. I'm behind on every project that I'm
involved in, and will probably not time to work more on this :-(

Simon/Elein: Do you plan to put more work into this?

If noone has the time to look over those
probably-not-conforming-but-just-maybe features, I suggest that we just go
along with the above patch.

-- 
Greetings from Troels Arvin, Copenhagen, Denmark

---

From: Simon Riggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 02:05:36 +0000

> along with the above patch.

I've re-written the starting paragraphs, will post soon.

That doesnt conflict with your patch - which look like good detail.

---

From: Troels Arvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:41:58 +0100

> I've re-written the starting paragraphs, will post soon.

Did you post them, in that case: where?