Subject: issue/bug management, project management, people management, product management all in one, preferably open source software ?

From: Achilleas Mantzios <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2025 20:52:11 +0300

Hi people

I'd like to know if people here know of or use any integrated solution 
for all or some of the above. It would be nice if it supported LDAP / 
OAuth 2.0 , integrate with plain vanilla git (not github / gitlab) and 
be open, and active as a project.

We are at a phase our business is expanding, the projects also are 
increasing in number and size, several of those are interconnected, 
either depending or prerequisite or even inter-meshed .

I'd like to have a tool to manage all this, but also a tool to show to 
the stakeholders the actual picture of our system.

I'd be grateful for any hints !

---

From: Sam Gendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2025 11:50:02 -0700

I think the closest you would get to a single product for all that is a
single suite of products which are reasonably well-integrated. issue,
project, and product management are almost always combined unless you are
just using github issue tracking or the like. Jira certainly covers all of
those.  And it will integrate with vanilla git, though you will lose
functionality compared to the integrations with github and bitbucket simply
because vanilla git lacks features compared to those.  The rest of the
atlassian product suite adds plenty of functionality around the rest of the
stuff you are asking for.  But it's hard to imagine you haven't already
considered atlassian, so I assume you are looking for a recommendation for
something other than that, but I can't think of anything I've used that is
actually better (and I say that as someone who doesn't really like Jira,
either). It's a pretty low bar, admittedly.

Jira is one of those products, like SalesForce, which is enormously
powerful, but only after you've customized the heck out of it because that
is how it is intended to be used.  Massively flexible, configurable, and
automatable, the setup out of the box is far from optimal for most teams.
You really have to know what you want and tell the software how to set
itself up to support that. And it helps if you have an agile-esque project
management methodology as it is certainly developed with that in mind. It
isn't going to dictate to you how to manage issues, projects, and products.
It will very flexibly allow you to set it up to work with it in almost any
way you like - but you have to have someone become something of an expert
in the platform AND you have to have a very concrete understanding of
exactly how you want to use it or you end up with the wishy washy, not very
effective project and issue management workflows dictated by the default
configuration, which is very lowest common denominator.

---

From: Ray O'Donnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2025 19:23:52 +0000

> be open, and active as a project.

I've used gitea:

     https://about.gitea.com

I don't know whether it does everything you want, but it's quite nice, 
and worth a look.

Ray.

-- 
Raymond O'Donnell // Galway // Ireland
[email-masked]