Subject: Must to have and good to have extensions

From: veem v <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2025 20:50:46 +0530

Hello Experts,
I am comparatively new to postgres database and we are starting to use on
premise postgres and also AWS aurora postgres for our applications. I know
there are many extensions which are kind of additional features which by
default do not come with the installations. There are many such extensions
in postgres available. But I want to understand from experts here , are
there a list of extensions which one must have and which are good to have
for on premise postgres and aws postgres?

Regards
Veem

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2025 09:21:16 -0700

On 10/17/25 08:20, veem v wrote:
> Hello Experts,
> I am comparatively new to postgres database and we are starting to use 
> on premise postgres and also AWS aurora postgres for our applications. I 
> know there are many extensions which are kind of additional features 
> which by default do not come with the installations. There are many such 
> extensions in postgres available. But I want to understand from experts 
> here , are there a list of extensions which one must have and which are 
> good to have for on premise postgres and aws postgres?

Not really as that is highly dependent on what you are using Postgres for.

The extensions that ship as contrib from the community Postres can be 
found here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/contrib.html

For what Aurora Postgres allows see:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/AuroraPostgreSQLReleaseNotes/AuroraPostgreSQL.Extensions.html

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]