Subject: Fwd: ODBC_FDW not reading Foreign Tables

From: Vijay Reddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2025 01:36:56 +0530

Dear Postgres Support Team,

Greetings!
This is  to bring to your notice that I am facing an issue with odbc_fdw
wrapper. My requirement is that I want to implement odbc_fdw
extension/wrapper in PostgreSQL 17.6.2  to read remote tables from
SQL Server (Remote db). I have the following details and attachment with
screenshots. I am working for my client (Experts.com), Need immediate
attention.

Tasks completed: 1.  Downloaded fdw_win64_17_bin

                             2.  Odbc_fdw  extension created.

                             3. Created Foreign server  ( Reports_server)

                             4. Tested DSN between odbc and sql db ( remote
live db) successfully

                             5. User mapping done: mapped ‘postgres’ user
to  sql_prod_account/*****

     6. Created foreign tables.

     7. Select * from the public.”IpInfo”  failed  with driver error.

     8. Postgres user not speaking to odbc

     9. Tds_fdw files downloaded, right binary not available, not able to
create tds_fdw extension with available binaries.

    10. ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server is compatible with and DSN tested
successfully and connected via 1433 and user/password to live db

     11.  Re-started postgres service with ‘Local System Account’ and
‘Network Service’ Account.

Issue: Not able to read foreign table data ( from Remote SQL DB) due to
error.

Error:  Connecting to driver

SQL State: 58000

   -

   PostgreSQL service process can not load the odbc driver or connect to
   the DSN defined file.

Please let me know Why I am not able to read from foreign tables, correct
binaries, and further steps to read data from remote SQL DB tables.  A
quick response is greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Vijay Reddy | Database Architect
Programming.com
[email-masked]
Gurgaon | Bangalore | Mohali |  IT Park Panchkula| IT Park Dehradun | Pune
| Chennai
New York |  Los Angeles  | Ft Lauderdale  |  San Diego  |  San Jose |
 Phoenix  |  Chicago

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2025 08:26:38 -0800

On 12/1/25 12:06, Vijay Reddy wrote:
> wrapper. My requirement is that I want to implement odbc_fdw extension/ 
> wrapper in PostgreSQL 17.6.2  to read remote tables from SQL Server 
> (Remote db). I have the following details and attachment with 

odbc_fdw is a third party extension you will need to contact other 
resources:

1) The dedicated Postgresql ODBC  list:

https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-odbc/

2) The issues page for the driver maintainers:

https://github.com/CartoDB/odbc_fdw/issues

If you need immediate attention then you will need to reach out to one 
of the professional support companies listed here:

https://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support/

When you do the above you will need to provide more information, at least:

1) Postgres version

2) SQL Server version.

3) OS version.

4) What fdw_win64_17_bin is and where you installed it from.

5) The location of your Postgres installation and ODBC installation

> 
> 
> Tasks completed:1.  Downloaded fdw_win64_17_bin
> 
>                               4. Tested DSN between odbc and sql db 
> ( remote live db) successfully
> 
>                               5. User mapping done: mapped ‘postgres’ 
> user to  sql_prod_account/*****
> 
>       9. Tds_fdw files downloaded, right binary not available, not able 
> to create tds_fdw extension with available binaries.
> 
> Issue:Not able to read foreign table data ( from Remote SQL DB) due to 
> error.
> 
>   *
>     PostgreSQL service process can not load the odbc driver or connect
>     to the DSN defined file.
> 
> 
> 
> Please let me know Why I am not able to read from foreign tables, 
> correct binaries, and further steps to read data from remote SQL DB 
> tables.  A quick response is greatly appreciated.
> 
> Thanks & Regards,
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> Gurgaon | Bangalore | Mohali |  IT Park Panchkula| IT Park Dehradun | 
> Pune | Chennai

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]