Subject: License question

From: prashant sinha <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2024 05:40:50 +0000 (UTC)

Hello There,I am looking to install PostgreSQL on a Microsoft Azure cloud VM for a product I am developing for business purpose. Is there a free version of PostgreSQL available which I can use without buying any licenses? In case I want to self install and manage the database? Just need guidance if I can install the available version from site for business purpose too or I must buy licenses? Will appreciate an appropriate related answer.
Thanks,Prashant

---

From: Christophe Pettus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2024 11:59:13 -0800

> On Nov 21, 2024, at 21:40, prashant sinha <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Is there a free version of PostgreSQL available which I can use without buying any licenses? In case I want to self install and manage the database? Just need guidance if I can install the available version from site for business purpose too or I must buy licenses? Will appreciate an appropriate related answer.

PostgreSQL itself is an open source project distributed under a very permissive license:

	https://www.postgresql.org/about/licence/

No payment is required to download and run it.

---

From: Alan Hodgson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2024 17:40:54 -0800

On Fri, 2024-11-22 at 05:40 +0000, prashant sinha wrote:
> Hello There,
> I am looking to install PostgreSQL on a Microsoft Azure cloud VM
> for a product I am developing for business purpose. Is there a free
> version of PostgreSQL available which I can use without buying any
> licenses? In case I want to self install and manage the database?
> Just need guidance if I can install the available version from site
> for business purpose too or I must buy licenses? Will appreciate an
> appropriate related answer.
> 

Open source PostgreSQL is and always has been free for any use.

If you're running it for real on Azure though, consider their managed
service. If it's half as good as Amazon's RDS, it's probably worth a
premium over the bare instance costs.

---

From: prashant sinha <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2024 06:04:28 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Christophe,Thank you so much for the response. One of my client is also requesting details of licensed version of PostgreSQL. Could you please guide me cost of PostgreSQL license which they want to get installed on their (client’s) on premise server. Not sure how pricing works for enterprise license which have all associated support for enterprise. Also not sure if we can install on any supported license for on-Prem server or we have to buy specific server recommended by PostgreSQL. Will appreciate your guidance here. 
Thanks,Prashant 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone