Subject: verify checksums online

From: Jeremy Schneider <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2025 14:18:17 -0700

i should know the answer to this... but asking anyway

i think there had been some mailing list discussions years ago? the
pg_checksum utility in core still can't do an online check right?

looking around, i think that michael's pg_checksums_ext still seems to
be available in debian repos, and it advertises online checks, which
makes me think that the core pg_checksum might still not have merged
any code for online checking yet

but i wanted to confirm with someone - my easiest options for online
verifying checksums would be to trigger pg_basebackup then check
pg_stat_database, or to install michael's utility?

-Jeremy

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2025 17:32:19 -0400

> pg_checksum utility in core still can't do an online check right?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/17/app-pgchecksums.html

"The server must be shut down cleanly before running pg_checksums."

-- 
Death to <Redacted>, and butter sauce.
Don't boil me, I'm still alive.
<Redacted> lobster!

---

From: Jeremy Schneider <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2025 15:18:26 -0700

On Fri, 18 Apr 2025 17:32:19 -0400
Ron Johnson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2025 at 5:18 PM Jeremy Schneider
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Yes I read the docs. This utility has evolved over time including a
complete rename, and I was just doublechecking here that we didn't miss
a doc update in case this sentence applied to enable/disable but not to
verify. As I said I'm assuming it's all accurate but just doing the
paranoid double-check

-Jeremy