Subject: Not able to grant access on pg_signal_backend on azure flexible server

From: Saksham Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 11:18:10 +0530

Hi,
We have created an azure postgresql flexible server and we have added an ad
admin as a user and Created our database using this admin user.However,When
are running this command: 'Grant pg_signal_backend To adminUser' we are
getting an error that says 'permission denied to grant role
"pg_signal_backend".While this is strange the admin user is infact the
owner of the said database and we don't have any other user that have the
said privileges.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 09:38:50 -0400

> owner of the said database and we don't have any other user that have the

Being the owner of a database isn't an especially privileged thing
in Postgres.  In particular, it does not grant you any powers over
installation-wide objects such as roles.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 07:20:16 -0700

On 4/18/24 22:48, Saksham Joshi wrote:
> Hi,
> We have created an azure postgresql flexible server and we have added an 
> ad admin as a user and Created our database using this admin 
> user.However,When are running this command: 'Grant pg_signal_backend To 
> adminUser' we are getting an error that says 'permission denied to grant 
> role "pg_signal_backend".While this is strange the admin user is infact 
> the owner of the said database and we don't have any other user that 
> have the said privileges.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/predefined-roles.html

"PostgreSQL provides a set of predefined roles that provide access to 
certain, commonly needed, privileged capabilities and information. 
Administrators (including roles that have the CREATEROLE privilege) can 
GRANT these roles to users and/or other roles in their environment, 
providing those users with access to the specified capabilities and 
information."

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]