Subject: Indentation in a patch

From: Bernice Southey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2025 18:14:57 +0000

Hi,
I'm having a fight with git and indentation for my first ever patch
attempt.  I'm just adding an if statement around an existing 70-line
code-block. It's a very simple few lines with --ignore-all-space. But
the patch file is noisy because of 140 lines of +/- indentation diffs.

I then realised the standard was tabs, and after fixing my spaces,
things got even worse. The 140 lines now interleave in many unreadable
chunks. I've tried different diff-algorithms, but they make no
difference. I'm tempted to submit my patch without indenting the
if-block, and an explanation. Any better suggestions?

While I'm asking, I added a regression test and ran make check-world
with the TAP tests. Anything else I should do before sending it to
hackers?

Thanks, Bernice

---

From: Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2025 19:58:25 +0100

> On 25 Nov 2025, at 19:14, Bernice Southey <[email-masked]> wrote:

> .. for my first ever patch attempt.

Awesome, we love to see new contributors!

> I'm tempted to submit my patch without indenting the
> if-block, and an explanation.

That's perfectly fine, an incorrectly indentend diff is fine to submit if it
makes it more readable (especially when coupled with a note explaining why).

> with the TAP tests. Anything else I should do before sending it to

Sounds like you've completed all the required steps.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2025 12:05:00 +0100

> makes it more readable (especially when coupled with a note explaining why).

Alternatively or additionally, git diff -w/--ignore-all-space can be 
useful in situations like this.