Subject: Using FDW to connect to a more recent postgres version?

From: Koen De Groote <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2024 22:33:16 +0200

The documentation speaks only of compatibility in terms of connecting to
older version:

> postgres_fdw can be used with remote servers dating back to PostgreSQL
8.3. Read-only capability is available back to 8.1.

But what about connecting to a foreign server that is more recent? Like
pg14 connecting to pg17?

Are the considerations in that case simply with new data types not being
recognized? Or are there cases where the setup can be done, but queries
won't behave as expected?

Regards,
Koen De Groote

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2024 16:35:50 -0400

> But what about connecting to a foreign server that is more recent? Like

I'd expect it to work, but it's not a scenario that we test.

			regards, tom lane