Subject: Clarification on PGDG Package Policies Across Platforms

From: sreekanta reddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2026 20:27:24 +0530

Dear PostgreSQL Team,

I hope you are doing well.

I am currently using PostgreSQL 17 on Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy). I noticed that
the system_stats extension is available as an RPM package in the PGDG
repository for RHEL 9, but I could not find a corresponding Debian/Ubuntu
(.deb) package in the PGDG APT repository.

I would like clarification not only about this specific extension, but also
about the general packaging policy followed by PostgreSQL.org/PGDG across
different operating systems.

In particular:

   -

   If a package or extension is available in one PGDG repository (for
   example, RHEL), is it generally expected to be available for other
   supported platforms like Ubuntu as well?
   -

   Are there technical, policy, maintenance, or demand-related reasons why
   some packages are built only for specific distributions?
   -

   Is there any documented guideline that explains how packaging decisions
   are made across platforms?

I would appreciate your clarification on both the specific case of
system_stats and the broader packaging policy.

Thank you for your time and support.

Best regards,
Sreekanta Reddy

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2026 10:40:05 -0800

On 2/20/26 6:57 AM, sreekanta reddy wrote:
> I am currently using PostgreSQL 17 on Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy). I noticed 
> that the |system_stats| extension is available as an RPM package in the 
> PGDG repository for RHEL 9, but I could not find a corresponding Debian/ 
> Ubuntu (.deb) package in the PGDG APT repository.
> 
> I would like clarification not only about this specific extension, but 
> also about the general packaging policy followed by PostgreSQL.org/PGDG 
> across different operating systems.

The project is only responsible for what is released here:

https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/

Packaging above that is the responsibility of the respective package teams.

Further, system_stats is a third party extension:

https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/system_stats

The PGDG RH package lead is Devrim Gündüz and he works for EDB, which is 
probably why it is present there.

If you want to see it in the PGDG packages you will need to reach out here:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt#Contact

to see if it is possible.

>   *
>   *
>     Are there technical, policy, maintenance, or demand-related reasons
>     why some packages are built only for specific distributions?
> 
>   *
> 
>     Is there any documented guideline that explains how packaging
>     decisions are made across platforms?
> 
> I would appreciate your clarification on both the specific case of | 
> system_stats| and the broader packaging policy.
>