Subject: how to tell if a pg version supports a linux distribution

From: bruno vieira da silva <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2024 16:24:48 -0400

Hello, if a pg version has been tested on the buildfarm but the pg yum
repository doesn't have packages for a linux distribution that means that
distribution isn't supported by pg? how can I find if linux distributions
for a pg version have regression tests executed against.

e.g. : postgresql 16 doesn't have packages on yum for centos 7 but I can
find tests on the buildfarm for it.

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/index.html

Thanks

-- 
Bruno Vieira da Silva

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2024 13:31:51 -0700

On 6/5/24 1:24 PM, bruno vieira da silva wrote:
> repository doesn't have packages for a linux distribution that means 
> that distribution isn't supported by pg? how can I find if linux 
> distributions for a pg version have regression tests executed against.
> 
> <https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/index.html>

https://yum.postgresql.org/news/rhel7-postgresql-rpms-end-of-life/

" PostgreSQL RPM repo stopped adding new packages to the RHEL 7 repo as 
of Aug 2023, including PostgreSQL 16.

We will maintain older major releases until each major release is EOLed 
by PostgreSQL project. Please visit here for latest release dates for 
each major release.

If you have any questions, please either email to 
[email-masked], or create a ticket at our redmine. "

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]

---

From: Laurenz Albe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2024 10:41:14 +0200

On Wed, 2024-06-05 at 16:24 -0400, bruno vieira da silva wrote:
> e.g. : postgresql 16 doesn't have packages on yum for centos 7 but I
> can find tests on the buildfarm for it.
> 

PostgreSQL supports all Linux distributions.  It doesn't particularly
care about the distribution as long as all the required software is
installed (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/install-requirements.html).

There are certainly other considerations.  For example, if your Linux
distribution uses musl as C library, which has dysfunctional collation
support, then collations won't work in PostgreSQL either, since it uses
that functionality by default.

If you want to avoid surprises, it might be good to use widely-used
distributions, but that doesn't mean that other distributions are not
supported.

Packaging is a completely different affair.  PostgreSQL provides
binary packages for the distributions that a packager cares about.
If Devrim decides that he doesn't want to build packages for v16
for a crummy old CentOS release, that's his choice.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe