Subject: pg_dump problems

From: JTyrrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 02:55:24 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone,

I'm having problems using pg_dump.

When I run the command

pg_dump -a -d testrig > testrig.data

on a machine running postgresql 7.4.13 with database testirg i have no
problem.

Then, I want to do the same but on a different machine running postgresql
7.4.6 with database root. So...

pg_dump -a -d root > root.data

For some reason this doesnt work! The command is running without error, but
the file root.data is always empty. The database does exist and all the data
is there, and I can run psql and do everything I normally do. I've tried
pg_dump with other databases and still get an empty file.

Could it be the commands are different for the different versions? If thats
the case, does anyone know what command I should be running?

-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/pg_dump-problems-tf2912789.html#a8138723
Sent from the PostgreSQL - general mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

---

From: Richard Huxton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 19:01:33 +0000

> pg_dump with other databases and still get an empty file.

Should work just fine.
1. Does "pg_dump -s" work?
2. Does the user you run this as have permission to dump data from "root"?

-- 
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

---

From: JTyrrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 01:20:10 -0800 (PST)

Richard Huxton wrote:
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
> 
> 

1. pg_dump -s doesn't work. I've tried using a load of other options and
none at all but no luck. 

2. I'm running as root so wont be a problem there, and the file im dumping
to has full permissions for everyone. 

What makes this even more confusing is I tried pg_dump with a database name
that doesnt exist and tried dumping from database root with a user that
doesn't have permission to do that. Both gave the same results as before.
Its basically creating the file i need, looking for the database and not
finding it. When you dump an empty database the file at least has some info
on session authorization and the schema. Im getting nothing!

-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/pg_dump-problems-tf2912789.html#a8156139
Sent from the PostgreSQL - general mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:39:11 -0500

> on session authorization and the schema. Im getting nothing!

It's really hard to believe that pg_dump would write nothing to either
the output file or stderr.  The only thought that comes to mind is that
if this machine has SELinux enabled, the SELinux policy might be
forbidding it from writing on the output file.  What's the platform,
exactly?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: JTyrrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 01:16:14 -0800 (PST)

Im using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. Thing is it worked before christmas but
doesn't now. I've just moved the data across by hand so its not too much of
a problem anymore. Might need to use dump again though so would be nice to
get the problem fixed

Tom Lane-2 wrote:
> TIP 4: Have you searched our list archives?
> 
>                http://archives.postgresql.org/
> 
> 

-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/pg_dump-problems-tf2912789.html#a8175027
Sent from the PostgreSQL - general mailing list archive at Nabble.com.