Subject: [Tool] pg-status — lightweight microservice for checking PostgreSQL host status

From: Андрей Крылосов <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2026 13:26:15 +0300

Hi all!

I'd like to share a small open‑source project I've been working on:
[pg-status](https://github.com/krylosov-aa/pg-status).

pg-status is a lightweight microservice (sidecar) that helps you instantly
determine the status of your PostgreSQL hosts: whether they are alive,
which one is the master, which ones are replicas, and how far each replica
is lagging behind the master.

It's designed to run alongside your main application. It's lightweight,
resource‑efficient, and delivers high performance. You can query it on
every request without noticeable overhead.

pg-status polls your database hosts in the background at a configurable
interval and exposes an HTTP interface that you can use to retrieve hosts
matching given conditions.

I originally built it to speed up master detection in a multi‑host setup
where DNS failover was too slow, but it's also handy for proxy setups or
custom load‑balancing logic.

More information is available on GitHub:
https://github.com/krylosov-aa/pg-status

Feedback and discussion are very welcome. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Best regards,
Andrei Krylosov

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2026 08:15:54 -0800

> More information is available on GitHub: https://github.com/krylosov-aa/ 
> pg-status <https://github.com/krylosov-aa/pg-status>
> 

Interesting. I personally do not run complex enough setups to benefit, 
but I can see where it would for those that do.

For future reference, announcements of this sort have a list:

https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-announce/

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]