Subject: Unable to completely uninstall PostgreSQL 14.2 + pgAdmin 6.4

From: Magnus Nilsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2024 13:38:37 +0200

Hi
It is time to update our aging installation of PostgreSQL 14.2 + pgAdmin
6.4 on our Windows 10 machines. We have a centrally administered
environment and we use SCCM to manage installations. However, we are unable
to install newer versions of PostgreSQL + pgAdmin from
https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/. The old version has been
uninstalled, but the new new installer reports that a previous installation
is blocking. Any suggestions on what to do? I have read several articles on
how to remove previous versions, but I have been unable to find a solution
that works.

Regards,

Magnus

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2024 08:52:59 -0700

On 10/25/24 04:38, Magnus Nilsson wrote:
> environment and we use SCCM to manage installations. However, we are 
> unable to install newer versions of PostgreSQL + pgAdmin from 
> https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/ 
> <https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/>. The old version has been 
> uninstalled, but the new new installer reports that a previous 
> installation is blocking. Any suggestions on what to do? I have read 
> several articles on how to remove previous versions, but I have been 
> unable to find a solution that works.

My guess is this will turn into a question for MS tech support. In meantime:

1) What version of Postgres are you upgrading to?

2) How did you uninstall the 14.2 version?

3) Provide the error message, as text not screenshot, that reports the 
blocking.

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]