Subject: Return of the pg_wal issue..

From: Paul Brindusa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2025 17:33:37 +0000

Good afternoon,

Following below we are facing a similar issue and im getting a real buzz to
get this working myself, speaking to my DBA  in the  company has actually
left me a bit cold as he is not good with postgres.

So I want to try and get a solution for this and fix this issue with the
pg_wal files filling up the drive at a ridiculous rate. I have been
manually moving logs to a different directory but have had no luck in
finding an actual solution.

The cluster is a 3 node cluster with HA which is running wirth patroni.

Please help me out, I will mention that I have test cluster spun up in case
something needs testing.

Also want to give a shout out to Lorenz Albe's for posting stuff about wal
files on his company blog.

Again any help will be greatly appreciated.

" On one of our postgres instances we have the pg_wal/data folder up to
196GB, out of 200GB disk filled up.
This has stopped the posgresql.service this morning causing two
applications to crash.
Unfortunately our database admin is on leave today, and we are trying to
figure out how to get the disk down?
Any ideas or suggestions are more than welcome.

Thank you in advance."

-- 
Kind Regards,
Paul Brindusa
[email-masked]

---

From: Laurenz Albe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2025 23:16:56 +0100

On Wed, 2025-01-22 at 17:33 +0000, Paul Brindusa wrote:
> So I want to try and get a solution for this and fix this issue with the pg_wal
> files filling up the drive at a ridiculous rate. I have been manually moving
> logs to a different directory but have had no luck in finding an actual solution.
> 

I guess you are referring to
https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com/en/why-does-my-pg_wal-keep-growing/

I listed all the reasons I know for your predicament.
Did you do some research along these lines?
If yes, what did you find?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe