Subject: name difference of rpm packages of postgresql-private-devel-16.6.z

From: Ravi Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2024 16:53:04 +0530

Hello,

Out of curiosity, I wanted to know the meaning of "private"
in postgresql-private-devel-16.6. rpm package name. Ideally, I saw
postgresql-devel-* rpm packages, so I want to know if there is any specific
reason for he word private in the name of rpm.

--
Regards,
Ravi Dave

---

From: Laurenz Albe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2025 22:02:53 +0100

On Mon, 2024-12-30 at 16:53 +0530, Ravi Dave wrote:
> Out of curiosity, I wanted to know the meaning of "private" in postgresql-private-devel-16.6.
> rpm package name. Ideally, I saw postgresql-devel-* rpm packages, so I want to know if there
> is any specific reason for he word private in the name of rpm.

The "private" package was not downloaded from the PostgreSQL download page,
so we don't know anything about it.  Probably somebody packaged it for -
well - private use.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe