Subject: Re: Looking for pg_config for postgresql 13.16

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2024 12:11:56 -0400

On Tue, Aug 20, 2024 at 11:56 AM H <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I am looking for pg_config for postgresql 13.16 that I run under Rocky
> Linux 9. It seems RL appstream latest version is pg_config in
> libpq-devel-13.11-1.el9.x86_64 but dnf complains:
> installed package postgresql13-"devel-13.16-2PGDG.rhel9.x86_64 obsoletes
> libpq-devel <= 42.0 provided by libpq-devel-13.11-1.el9.x86_64 from
> appstream"
>
> What is the recommended way around this?
>

That doesn't make sense.  /usr/pgsql-13/bin/pg_config should be in plain
old postgresql13.

This is PG14, but the package structure has been the same since at least PG
9.6:

$ which pg_config
/usr/pgsql-14/bin/pg_config

$ yum whatprovides /usr/pgsql-14/bin/pg_config
RHEL8-Pool for x86_64                      2.9 kB/s | 251  B     00:00
rhel-8.9-x86_64-dvd                         54 MB/s |  13 MB     00:00
RES-8-Updates for x86_64                    97 MB/s |  83 MB     00:00
RES-AS-8-Updates for x86_64                 90 MB/s |  65 MB     00:00
RES-CB-8-Updates for x86_64                 40 MB/s | 7.5 MB     00:00
RES8-Manager-Tools-Pool for x86_64         504 kB/s |  58 kB     00:00
RES8-Manager-Tools-Updates for x86_64       20 MB/s | 2.6 MB     00:00
supp-supplementary-8.9-rhel-8-x86_64-dvd   559 kB/s |  47 kB     00:00
postgresql14-14.13-2PGDG.rhel8.x86_64 : PostgreSQL client programs and
libraries
Repo        : @System
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/pgsql-14/bin/pg_config

-- 
Death to America, and butter sauce.
Iraq lobster!

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2024 12:25:00 -0400

> That doesn't make sense.  /usr/pgsql-13/bin/pg_config should be in plain

I don't think the error is complaining that pg_config appears in
both packages, it's just telling you that they are marked as being
incompatible with each other.  (There might be other files that
are in both of those packages.)

The easiest fix is likely to remove the libpq-devel package, expecting
postgresql13-devel to provide whatever you needed from that.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: H <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2024 14:17:49 -0400

On Tue, 2024-08-20 at 12:11 -0400, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > I am looking for pg_config for postgresql 13.16 that I run under Rocky Linux 9. It seems RL appstream latest version is pg_config in libpq-devel-13.11-1.el9.x86_64 but dnf complains:
> > installed package postgresql13-"devel-13.16-2PGDG.rhel9.x86_64 obsoletes libpq-devel <= 42.0 provided by libpq-devel-13.11-1.el9.x86_64 from appstream"
> >
> That doesn't make sense.  /usr/pgsql-13/bin/pg_config should be in plain old postgresql13.
>
> This is PG14, but the package structure has been the same since at least PG 9.6:
>
> $ which pg_config
> postgresql14-14.13-2PGDG.rhel8.x86_64 : PostgreSQL client programs and libraries
> Repo        : @System
> Matched from:

I had not found it because it was not in the path. Found it and installed the temporal_tables extension so everything is good.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.