Subject: Re: deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ bookworm-pgdg main 15

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2025 14:13:00 -0700

On 5/11/25 13:59, Andrej wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> We have two clusters of postgres running, and a couple of machines have 
> local postgres databases installed via ansible, using ANXS.postgresql. 
> This has been working fine for years, installing varied versions of 
> postgres, doing upgrades & migrations without a hitch.
> 
> Since last week we're seeing odd errors which look like they're caused 
> by repo:

May 8th a round of new releases where made:

https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/postgresql-175-169-1513-1418-and-1321-released-3072/

> 
> a) W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The 
> repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG 
> error: http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt 
> <http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt> bookworm-pgdg InRelease: 

Shouldn't the above be?:

https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/dists/bookworm-pgdg/InRelease

> b) E: Failed to fetch 
> http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/dists/focal-pgdg/main/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2 <http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/dists/focal-pgdg/main/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2>  File has unexpected size (350884 != 350996). Mirror sync in progress? [IP: v.w.x.y[1] 3142]
>     Hashes of expected file:
>      - Filesize:350996 [weak]
>      - 
> SHA256:b946f1cb499ffca9331f532cea373ca5f5d39551fdc156effef354e001a5b865
>      - SHA1:7aabca4a364ee2b4b891465b02f60d7609b79f8f [weak]
>      - MD5Sum:738420fcc2da36f7728502eb2809aa43 [weak]
>     Release file created at: Mon, 28 Apr 2025 16:16:01 +0000
> E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old 
> ones used instead.

 From here:

http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/dists/focal-pgdg/main/binary-amd64/

Packages.bz2      09-May-2025 19:58              350884

Not sure where the Filesize:350996 [weak] and Release file created at: 
Mon, 28 Apr 2025 16:16:01 +0000 is coming from?

> 
> [1] v.w.x.y  - we use an apt-cacher-ng to proxy package installations to 
> be a good citizen and not pummel upstream machines (not just postgres, 
> but both Ubuntu and Debian as well). I have confirmed that the content 
> on the cacher is identical to what I see on apt.postgresql.org 
> <http://apt.postgresql.org> when using a browser.
> 
> 
> 
> Cheers,
> Andrej
> 
> 

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]

---

From: Andrej <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2025 09:22:36 +1200

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for the super-quick response!

> https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/postgresql-175-169-1513-1418-and-1321-released-3072/

I see ... but was there anything new in the process of publishing them?

> https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/dists/bookworm-pgdg/InRelease

For browser sessions yes, not inside the sources-file
`/etc/apt/sources.list.d/apt_postgresql_org_pub_repos_apt.list` ... they're
structured like this, for example:

cat apt_postgresql_org_pub_repos_apt.list
deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ bookworm-pgdg main 15

> > b) E: Failed to fetch
> >
> http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/dists/focal-pgdg/main/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2
> <
> http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/dists/focal-pgdg/main/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2>
>  File has unexpected size (350884 != 350996). Mirror sync in progress? [IP:
> v.w.x.y[1] 3142]
> >     Hashes of expected file:
> >      - Filesize:350996 [weak]
> >      -

Me neither, I'll confess - possibly a version in use that *didn't* receive
an update?

Cheers,
Andrej

-- 
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes
concise.

http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/email-style.html

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2025 16:06:52 +0200

> Thank you for the super-quick response!

Just a quick check-back on this: has this issue basically resolve itself by
now, or does it still show up?

>> > E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old

Something weird here. You have bookworm-pgdg in your repository config
file, but the error is from focal-pgdg.. Have you somehow ended up with two
repos configured?

> Me neither, I'll confess - possibly a version in use that *didn't* receive

If you still have the issue, or f it reappears, can you please provider the
header output from basically a "curl -I <url>" for th different URLs
involved at the time of failure?

And also note the exact timestamp of when you're doing it, to correlate
with logs.

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/ <http://www.hagander.net/>
 Work: https://www.redpill-linpro.com/ <http://www.redpill-linpro.com/>

---

From: Andrej <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2025 12:00:15 +1200

On Wed, 14 May 2025 at 02:07, Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Just a quick check-back on this: has this issue basically resolve itself
> by now, or does it still show up?
>
Hi Magnus,

thank you for chiming in. The answer is: -ish.

> file, but the error is from focal-pgdg.. Have you somehow ended up with two
Well ... we're currently in the process of migrating our fleet from Ubuntu
to Debian, so we have both atm. The cluster servers are already on Debian,
some of the stand-alone machines (special hosts w/ local database) are
still Ubuntu.

The problem seems to go away when I change the sources list to utilise
https:// instead of the previous default, http://

Cheers,
Andrej

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2025 17:25:35 -0700

On 5/13/25 17:00, Andrej wrote:

> https:// instead of the previous default, http://

I don't see that issue on the three Ubuntu machines I have Postgres 
installed from PGDG.

My guess you are seeing this due to apt-cacher-ng.

 From here:

https://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~bloch/acng/html/howtos.html#ssluse

"It is possible to have encrypted access to remote sites via HTTPS 
protocol with recent versions of apt-cacher-ng if the OpenSSL support 
was enabled at compile time. However this leads certain side effects and 
complications; due to the nature of the HTTPS connection model, it is 
not possible to act as an intermediate server (e.g. caching proxy) by 
the same rules as with HTTP:"

"Considering these difficulties, there are three (and a half) methods to 
use SSL."

---

From: Andrej <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2025 17:30:25 +1200

> "Considering these difficulties, there are three (and a half) methods to
I have no problem believing that - it's just that this "just worked"™ for
the last 8 or so years,
and apt-cacher hasn't seen any changes/updates in years, the source it's
built from on
our Ubuntu instance is from 2022, which makes me think something may have
changed
on the repo site.

Cheers,
Andrej