Subject: Disconnecting from the server

From: Igor Korot <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2026 21:29:03 -0500

Hi, ALL.
Let's say I'm debugging my application.

I establish a successful connection to the server and start
debugging.

During the debugging session I found a bug/issue.

In this case what I usually do is I stop and exit the debugger
essentially imitating the program crash.

What will happen in this case?

I presume the connection will be closed the socket becomes
available and the server will clear all resources associated with the
connection?

Or should I perform some clean-up on the server - some kind of "connection
pool reset" so that the resources associated with the connection will be
gone?

Please clarify.

Thank you.

---

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2026 19:50:33 -0700

> pool reset" so that the resources associated with the connection will be

There server doesn’t have a connection pool.

You can inspect what is connected to the server via the pg_stat_activity
view.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/monitoring-stats.html#MONITORING-PG-STAT-ACTIVITY-VIEW

David J.

---

From: Igor Korot <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2026 22:43:00 -0500

Hi, David,

> There server doesn’t have a connection pool.

There is a reason I put quotes around that phrase. ;-)

>
> You can inspect what is connected to the server via the pg_stat_activity view.
>

Thank you for the info.

I checked and there are no processes running.

Which means I don't need to clean up anything. ;-)