Subject: PgbackRest and EDB Query

From: KK CHN <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2024 18:00:01 +0530

Hi ,

I am trying pgbackrest(2.52.1)  with postgresql( version 16)  on  a lab
setup on RHEL-9. Both  PostgreSQL server and a remote Repository host
configured with pgbackrest and everything working fine as specified in the
documentation.

note:  here I am running postgres server and pgbackrest everything as
postgres user and no issues in  backup and recovery.

Query
1. Is it possible to use  PgBackrest with  EnterpriseDB(EDB -16) for the
backup and recovery process? Or pgback works only with the community
PostgreSQL database ?

[ when I ran  initdb script of EDB while installing EDB it creates the
enterpisedb  as user and edb as initial  database by the script. ]

when I try to create the stanza on the EDB server it throws error  (pasted
at bottom ).

NOTE:
I know that  my EDB  running on  port 5444 instead of  5432 and the dbname
= edb instead of postgres, and user as  enterpisedb instead of postgres how
to specify these changes in the stanza creation step if  EDB Supports
pgbackrest tool ?

OR   Am I doing a waste exercise  [if pgbackrest won't go ahead with EDB ] ?

Any hints much appreciated.

Thank you,
Krishane

ERROR:
root@uaterssdrservice01 ~]# sudo -u postgres pgbackrest --stanza=OD_DM2
--log-level-console=info  stanza-create
2024-07-17 17:42:13.935 P00   INFO: stanza-create command begin 2.52.1:
--exec-id=1301876-7e055256 --log-level-console=info --log-level-file=debug
--pg1-path=/var/lib/pgsql/16/data --repo1-host=10.x.y.7
--repo1-host-user=postgres --stanza=OD_DM2
WARN: unable to check pg1: [DbConnectError] unable to connect to
'dbname='postgres' port=5432': connection to server on socket
"/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: No such file or directory
        Is the server running locally and accepting connections on that
socket?
ERROR: [056]: unable to find primary cluster - cannot proceed
       HINT: are all available clusters in recovery?
2024-07-17 17:42:13.936 P00   INFO: stanza-create command end: aborted with
exception [056]
[root@uaterssdrservice01 ~]#

---

From: Kashif Zeeshan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2024 20:37:43 +0500

Hi

> backup and recovery process? Or pgback works only with the community
It support both community PG and EDB PG.

> enterpisedb  as user and edb as initial  database by the script. ]
Enterprisedb is the default user created by EDB.

> to specify these changes in the stanza creation step if  EDB Supports
You can enter this connection information in the PbBackRest Conf file for
the stanza you create for your EDB Instance.

e.g

[global]repo1-path=/var/lib/edb/as15/backups
[demo]pg1-path=/var/lib/edb/as15/datapg1-user=enterprisedbpg1-port=5444pg-version-force=15

Refer to following edb documentation

https://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/supported-open-source/pgbackrest/03-quick_start/

> 2024-07-17 17:42:13.936 P00   INFO: stanza-create command end: aborted
> with exception [056]