Subject: Re: Database stats ( pg_stat_database.stats_reset ) get reset on daily basis - why?

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2024 12:49:45 -0500

As a superuser, rename pg_stat_reset inside one of the commonly affected
databases:

alter function pg_stat_reset rename to
hey_stop_running_pg_stat_reset_already;

Then see who starts complaining. Additionally, your server log will get
helpful entries like this:

ERROR:  function pg_stat_reset() does not exist

Cheers,
Greg

---

From: Steeve Boulanger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2024 20:48:38 -0600

Thanks for the tip Greg - that's very clever! I've done this just now,
and will check back tomorrow to see if there's any corresponding error
message.

NB:  I hadn't originally realized that the system functions (ie pg_*) were
created for each database, so I had renamed only the one in the postgres
database, thinking it was global (ie I'll blame this on my Oracle days
;-)).

Now I renamed the function under one database that had been verified as
getting its stats reset on a daily basis. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get more
interesting info!

-Steeve