Subject: Re: Issue Installing PostgreSQL 17 on Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy)

From: Kashif Zeeshan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 12:05:38 +0500

Hi Jyoti

Make sure you have done the following repo setup

sudo apt install curl ca-certificates
sudo install -d /usr/share/postgresql-common/pgdg
sudo curl -o /usr/share/postgresql-common/pgdg/apt.postgresql.org.asc
--fail https://www.postgresql.org/media/keys/ACCC4CF8.asc

# Create the repository configuration file:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb
[signed-by=/usr/share/postgresql-common/pgdg/apt.postgresql.org.asc]
https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt $(lsb_release -cs)-pgdg main" >
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list'

Also once the above is done then execute following
apt-get update

then execute the following command and it shd install the latest version of
PG in this case PG17.
sudo apt -y install postgresql

Regards
Kashif Zeeshan

On Mon, Aug 26, 2024 at 11:52 AM Jyoti Saxena <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m encountering an issue while trying to install PostgreSQL 17 on my
> Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy) system. I followed the installation instructions from
> the official PostgreSQL website
> https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/.
>
> When I run the command sudo apt -y install postgresql-17, I receive the
> following message:
>
> Reading package lists... DoneBuilding dependency tree... DoneReading state information... DonePackage postgresql-17 is not available, but is referred to by another package.This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source.
>
> Here’s what I’ve already tried:
>
>  1. Updated the package list with sudo apt update.
>
>  2. Verified that the PostgreSQL Apt Repository is added correctly with
>
> deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ jammy-pgdg main.
>
> 3. Checked available packages using apt-cache search postgresql-17.
>
>  4. Despite these steps, I’m unable to install PostgreSQL 17. Could you
> please advise on how to resolve this issue or if there's something I might
> be missing?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jyoti
>

---

From: Jyoti Saxena <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 15:59:45 +0530

Hi Kashif,

Thank you for the instructions. I followed the steps provided to set up the
repository and install PostgreSQL. However, after completing the setup, the
system installed PostgreSQL 16.4 instead of the expected PostgreSQL 17. The
version installed is psql (PostgreSQL) 16.4 (Ubuntu 16.4-1.pgdg22.04+1).

Here are the steps I followed:

   1. Installed curl and ca-certificates.
   2. Set up the repository key and configuration as instructed.
   3. Ran apt-get update.
   4. Executed sudo apt -y install postgresql.

The repository seems to have installed the latest available version as
PostgreSQL 16.4. Could you please advise if there is a different repository
I should use for PostgreSQL 17, or if additional steps are needed to
specifically target version 17?

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,
Jyoti

On Mon, Aug 26, 2024 at 12:35 PM Kashif Zeeshan <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> then execute the following command and it shd install the latest version
> of PG in this case PG17.

---

From: Kashif Zeeshan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 15:30:29 +0500

On Mon, Aug 26, 2024 at 3:19 PM Jyoti Saxena <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hi Kashif,
>
> Thank you for the instructions. I followed the steps provided to set up
> the repository and install PostgreSQL. However, after completing the setup,
> the system installed PostgreSQL 16.4 instead of the expected PostgreSQL 17.
> The version installed is psql (PostgreSQL) 16.4 (Ubuntu 16.4-1.pgdg22.04+1).
>

So the last version available is PG16, which means PG17 is still not there.
If you require PG17 beta for Testing purposes then you can install it from
code, which is available on following

https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v17beta3/

---

From: Kashif Zeeshan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 15:31:55 +0500

To compile PG from code follow the below instructions.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/install-make.html

Thanks
Kashif Zeeshan

On Mon, Aug 26, 2024 at 3:30 PM Kashif Zeeshan <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>>> https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt $(lsb_release -cs)-pgdg main"

---

From: Jyoti Saxena <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 16:23:56 +0530

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion to compile PostgreSQL from source. However, I
am currently looking for a way to install PostgreSQL 17 through a package
manager or a precompiled version that can be more seamlessly integrated and
managed in my environment.

Could you please confirm if PostgreSQL 17 is available through the
PostgreSQL APT repository for Ubuntu 22.04, or if there will be a delay in
its availability? Additionally, if you have any other recommendations for
installing PostgreSQL 17 without compiling from source, such as through
third-party repositories or Docker, I would appreciate your guidance.

Also, could you please provide information on where I can find the binary
installation packages for PostgreSQL 17 for Windows? This would be
extremely helpful for setting up PostgreSQL on my Windows system.

Thank you once again for your support.

Best regards,

Jyoti

On Mon, Aug 26, 2024 at 4:02 PM Kashif Zeeshan <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>> If you require PG17 beta for Testing purposes then you can install it
>> from code, which is available on following
>>
>>>> then execute the following command and it shd install the latest
>>>> version of PG in this case PG17.
>>>> On Mon, Aug 26, 2024 at 11:52 AM Jyoti Saxena <
>>>> [email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> When I run the command sudo apt -y install postgresql-17, I receive
>>>>> the following message:
>>>>>
>>>>>  4. Despite these steps, I’m unable to install PostgreSQL 17. Could
>>>>> you please advise on how to resolve this issue or if there's something I
>>>>> might be missing?
>>>>>

---

From: Kashif Zeeshan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 16:08:10 +0500

> third-party repositories or Docker, I would appreciate your guidance.
Hi
If the package is not available on repo then you cant install it using it.
The other option is to compile using code.
As far as PG17 is concerned then its Beta 3 is released, maybe someone else
can guide on how to install it.

Regards
Kashif Zeeshan

> extremely helpful for setting up PostgreSQL on my Windows system.
 For windows follow the link

https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/

>>>> On Mon, Aug 26, 2024 at 12:35 PM Kashif Zeeshan <
>>>> [email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi Jyoti
>>>>>
>>>>> https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt $(lsb_release -cs)-pgdg
>>>>> main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list'
>>>>>
>>>>>