Subject: Issue Installing PostgreSQL 17 on Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy)

From: Jyoti Saxena <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 12:22:03 +0530

Hi,

I’m encountering an issue while trying to install PostgreSQL 17 on my
Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy) system. I followed the installation instructions from
the official PostgreSQL website
https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/.

When I run the command sudo apt -y install postgresql-17, I receive the
following message:

Reading package lists... DoneBuilding dependency tree... DoneReading
state information... DonePackage postgresql-17 is not available, but
is referred to by another package.This may mean that the package is
missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source.

Here’s what I’ve already tried:

 1. Updated the package list with sudo apt update.

 2. Verified that the PostgreSQL Apt Repository is added correctly with

deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ jammy-pgdg main.

3. Checked available packages using apt-cache search postgresql-17.

 4. Despite these steps, I’m unable to install PostgreSQL 17. Could you
please advise on how to resolve this issue or if there's something I might
be missing?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Jyoti

---

From: Ray O'Donnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 11:43:28 +0100

On 26/08/2024 07:52, Jyoti Saxena wrote:
> Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy) system. I followed the installation instructions 
> from the official PostgreSQL website 

I don't know what's currently available in the PG apt repo, but 
PostgreSQL 17 hasn't been released yet. Maybe you need to ask for a beta 
package or something?

Ray.

-- 
Raymond O'Donnell // Galway // Ireland
[email-masked]

---

From: Ray O'Donnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 11:54:29 +0100

On 26/08/2024 11:43, Ray O'Donnell wrote:
> PostgreSQL 17 hasn't been released yet. Maybe you need to ask for a 
> beta package or something?

PS - there are more instructions at https://apt.postgresql.org, 
including a link to this page on the wiki which will hopefully help:

     https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt/FAQ#Development_snapshots

Ray.

---

From: Jyoti Saxena <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 17:03:05 +0530

Hi Ray,

I appreciate the clarification regarding the release status of PostgreSQL
17. Understanding that it is currently in the beta phase, I am eager to
integrate this version into my development and testing workflows.

Could you please assist me by providing the following information:

   - Instructions on how to access and install the beta version of
   PostgreSQL 17 via the PostgreSQL APT repository for Ubuntu.
   - Details on where I can find the binary installation files for
   PostgreSQL 17 beta for Windows.

Thank you once again for your continued support.

Best regards,

Jyoti

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 07:39:09 -0700

On 8/26/24 04:33, Jyoti Saxena wrote:
> Hi Ray,
> 
> I appreciate the clarification regarding the release status of 
> PostgreSQL 17. Understanding that it is currently in the beta phase, I 
> am eager to integrate this version into my development and testing 
> workflows.
> 
>   * Instructions on how to access and install the beta version of

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt/FAQ#I_want_to_try_the_beta_version_of_the_next_PostgreSQL_release

>   * Details on where I can find the binary installation files for

Not released yet. Check the link below for release:

https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]