Subject: Performance of JSON type in postgres

From: veem v <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2025 01:21:38 +0530

Hi,
It's postgres 15+. And need guidance on JSON types, (for both on premise
vanilla postgres installation and AWS cloud based RDS/aurora postgres
installations).

I have never worked on a JSON data type in the past. But now in one of the
scenarios the team wants to use it and thus want to understand if there are
any pros/cons in using JSONB vs JSON in postgres. Is there a specific
scenario in which one should use one vs other. Any storage or performance
threshold or limitations if any exists etc? Even some team mates suggest
storing it simply in string data types. So I want to understand the
experts' opinion on this which I believe will  be crucial during design
itself.

Regards
Veem

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2025 12:54:49 -0700

On 7/14/25 12:51, veem v wrote:
> I have never worked on a JSON data type in the past. But now in one of 
> the scenarios the team wants to use it and thus want to understand if 
> there are any pros/cons in using JSONB vs JSON in postgres. Is there a 
> specific scenario in which one should use one vs other. Any storage or 
> performance threshold or limitations if any exists etc? Even some team 
> mates suggest storing it simply in string data types. So I want to 
> understand the experts' opinion on this which I believe will  be 
> crucial during design itself.

It is spelled out here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/datatype-json.html

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]