Subject: What to do with a PAAS-pg server

From: "alexander al (leiden)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2024 16:32:29 +0100

Hi,

we have a supplier (via our client) who has an self build PAAS-version
of postgresql. Ok, you would say, that's fine. But, there is always an
but, we think the settings are not quite ok. We really want to know how
much memory etc there is on that server. So we can recommend the
recommended settings. Is there a way to get those information on the
server itself from psql?

regards,

Alexander Al

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2024 11:49:29 -0400

Settings, like "SELECT * FROM pg_settings;"

-- 
Death to <Redacted>, and butter sauce.
Don't boil me, I'm still alive.
<Redacted> crustacean!

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2024 23:42:16 -0400

> Settings, like "SELECT * FROM pg_settings;"

This query will show you the non-default settings:

	SELECT name, current_setting(name), source
	FROM pg_settings
	WHERE source NOT IN ('default', 'override');

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        https://momjian.us
  EDB                                      https://enterprisedb.com

  When a patient asks the doctor, "Am I going to die?", he means 
  "Am I going to die soon?"

---

From: Ian Lawrence Barwick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2024 15:07:20 +0900

> recommended settings. Is there a way to get those information on the

If you mean you e.g. only have access to psql on the server in question,
but want to know more about the server itself (i.e. not the PostgreSQL
settings), then you might have luck poking around with the pg_read_file()
function, e.g.:

    SELECT pg_read_file('/proc/meminfo');

Note you will need database superuser permission to execute pg_read_file(),
or for non-superusers be granted EXECUTE permission on it.

Regards

Ian Barwick