Subject: Best Tool for PostgreSQL Auditing and Storing Audit Logs Separately

From: vijay patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2025 16:14:03 +0530

Hi All,

We are exploring auditing solutions for our PostgreSQL database and are
considering using pgaudit for this purpose. However, we have a few
questions:

   1.

   *What is the best tool for auditing PostgreSQL databases?*
   -

      We are specifically looking for a solution that offers detailed
      auditing capabilities and is compatible with our setup.
      2.

   *Can we store the audit information separately from PostgreSQL logs if
   we decide to use pgaudit?*
   -

      We would prefer to keep the audit logs in a separate file or location
      for easier management and analysis.

We appreciate any help or suggestions!

Thanks

Vijay

---

From: KENAN ÇİFTÇİ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2025 14:14:03 +0300

Hi,

You can use pgaudit and pgauditlogtofile extension (
https://github.com/fmbiete/pgauditlogtofile) together to write audit logs
in a separate file.

yours,

Kenan Çiftçi

On Tue, Apr 15, 2025 at 1:44 PM vijay patil <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>       We would prefer to keep the audit logs in a separate file or
>       location for easier management and analysis.
>
>

---

From: vijay patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2025 10:45:24 +0530

Hi Kenan,

Thanks for the quick response.

Thanks
Vijay

On Tue, Apr 15, 2025 at 4:44 PM KENAN ÇİFTÇİ <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>    *Can we store the audit information separately from PostgreSQL logs
>>    if we decide to use pgaudit?*
>>    -
>>