Subject: Display Bytea field

From: Andy Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2025 15:16:40 -0500

I have migrated over a Table from Mssql that had an Image column I now have
it in Postgres

---

From: Andy Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2025 15:17:34 -0500

How thru a simple query can I make sure data matches and I can display it

On Thu, Jan 9, 2025 at 3:16 PM Andy Hartman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have migrated over a Table from Mssql that had an Image column I now
> have it in Postgres
>

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2025 15:24:32 -0500

>> I have migrated over a Table from Mssql that had an Image column I now
Did SSMS see the column, and then display thousands (or millions) of
images?

What you're going to need here is a GUI app (that can be a web app) which
"you" have programmed to know *that column is full of JPEG (or PNG or
whatever) images*, and so call the relevant decoding library then display
at the appropriate location in a window.

-- 
Death to <Redacted>, and butter sauce.
Don't boil me, I'm still alive.
<Redacted> lobster!

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2025 14:11:10 -0800

> How thru a simple query can I make sure data matches and I can display it

What you are facing:

1) Bytea stores binary strings in the formats specified here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/datatype-binary.html

2) The database has no 'knowledge' of what those binary strings 
represent. They could be an image, a PDF, a spreadsheet file, etc.

3) To achieve what you want you need some sort of client code that can 
take the binary strings and convert them to the correct output. Then you 
can match and display.

> 
> On Thu, Jan 9, 2025 at 3:16 PM Andy Hartman <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>     I have migrated over a Table from Mssql that had an Image column I
>     now have it in Postgres
> 

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]