Subject: Controlling resource utilization

From: yudhi s <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 01:15:54 +0530

Hi ,
We want to have controls around the DB resource utilization by the adhoc
user queries, so that it won't impact the application queries negatively.
Its RDS postgresql database version 15.4.

Saw one parameter as statement_timeout which restricts the queries to not
run after a certain time duration and queries will be automatically
killed/cancelled. However, I don't see any other options to set this at
user level, rather it's getting set for all or at session level. So I want
to know if there exists, anyway to control the database resource
utilization specific to users?

Regards
Yudhi

---

From: Juan Rodrigo Alejandro Burgos Mella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 15:02:08 -0500

Yes sir

SET statement_timeout TO '<milliseconds>'

Atte
JRBM

---

From: yudhi s <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 01:48:39 +0530

>> utilization specific to users?

This will set the timeout at session level. However, We want to understand,
if it can be done at user/role level, so that any such adhoc user queries
can be auto killed or cancelled after the set time.