Subject: Re: recovery error while running any statement

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2025 11:48:52 -0500

On Thu, Jan 9, 2025 at 11:42 AM yudhi s <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello Experts,
> It's postgres aurora version 16. While  running the ALTER command on any
> object we see an error "*Only RowExclusiveLock or less can be acquired on
> database objects during recovery*". If I run any DML it gives an error
> stating '*cannot execute UPDATE in a read-only transaction*' , then I
> tried setting "*set transaction read-write*" and it erroring out with "*cannot
> set transaction read-write mode during recovery*".
>
> Want to understand , what is the cause of this error and how to fix this?
>

The cause of the error is that the instance is in recovery mode, just like
the error message says.

Is your system a cluster?

-- 
Death to <Redacted>, and butter sauce.
Don't boil me, I'm still alive.
<Redacted> lobster!

---

From: yudhi s <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2025 22:24:26 +0530

Yes , it's a cluster aurora global database. I am a bit new to this. Can
you please explain a bit more, what must be the reason and what should we
do to make it back online to serve the queries? It's a non-prod though.

On Thu, Jan 9, 2025 at 10:19 PM Ron Johnson <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> object we see an error "*Only RowExclusiveLock or less can be acquired
>> on database objects during recovery*". If I run any DML it gives an
>> error stating '*cannot execute UPDATE in a read-only transaction*' ,
>> then I tried setting "*set transaction read-write*" and it erroring out
>> with "*cannot set transaction read-write mode during recovery*".
>>