Subject: Enquiry about TDE with PgSQL

From: Ashish Mukherjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2025 21:25:27 +0530

Hello,

Thank you to the group members for the responses to my previous questions
about TDE problems with PgSQL 17.

I would like to enquire that based on the anecdotal experience of group
members, which TDE solution works best for PgSQL 17 databases. The scenario
I have is of a large number of tables (15-20K) and some tables with 100M
tuples each. The total database size is 4TB.

I understand there may be variations and specific testing is required,
however high-level pointers and feedback would be valuable.

Regards,
Ashish

---

From: Fernando Laudares Camargos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2025 11:41:40 -0300

Hi Ashish,
If you are looking for "native" TDE in PostgreSQL, you won't find it in the
PostgreSQL community distribution.
If you search for "postgresql tde", you will find a list of vendors that
provide TDE functions in their own distributions of PostgreSQL, such as:

   -
   https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com/en/products/cybertec-postgresql-enterprise-edition-pgee/
   - https://www.enterprisedb.com/products/database
   - https://docs.percona.com/pg-tde/

What's important to understand is that if you migrate from PostgreSQL
community to one of these distributions and encrypt your tables using the
respective solution offered by the distribution, moving back to PostgreSQL
Community will require a logical backup (pg_dump) and restore.

Disclaimer: I work for Percona.