Subject: Re: Yet more ROLE changes in v18 beta1???

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2025 22:57:19 -0400

Dominique Devienne <[email-masked]> writes:
> Unfortunately, digging into this is not something I can do right away.
> v18 is still a few months out, I do hope I can investigate before that.

It'd be good if you could prioritize that a bit more.  If there is
a bug rather than an intentional change here, we'd much rather
find it and fix it before 18.0 comes out.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Dominique Devienne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2025 14:34:47 +0200

> find it and fix it before 18.0 comes out.

Of course Tom. And as a quick update, we've installed beta2 now, but
still get the same v18-specific failure, compared to v17 and v16 (see
below). I'll be looking at this soon. And will report back. --DD

```
D:\>set POSTGRESQL_UTCONFIG=C:\Users\ddevienne\ut_pg_config-18.json
D:\>tests_schemas -t ...  --pq-version
Connected to postgresql://ddevienne@.../ddevienne (17.4, server 18.0)
Running 1 test case...
unknown location(0): fatal error: in "...": class pq::Error: #42501
permission denied to drop role
DETAIL:  Only roles with the CREATEROLE attribute and the ADMIN option
on role "...:ADMIN" may drop this role.
*** 1 failure is detected in the test module "Master Test Suite"
*** failure detail:
*** tests_schemas in 0.596s (user: 0.062s) 23 MB

D:\>set POSTGRESQL_UTCONFIG=C:\Users\ddevienne\ut_pg_config-17.json
D:\>tests_schemas -t ... --pq-version
Connected to postgresql://ddevienne@.../ddevienne (17.4, server 17.5)
Running 1 test case...
*** No errors detected
*** tests_schemas in 0.706s (user: 0.062s) 25 MB

D:\>set POSTGRESQL_UTCONFIG=C:\Users\ddevienne\ut_pg_config-16.json
D:\>tests_schemas -t ... --pq-version
Connected to postgresql://ddevienne@.../ddevienne (17.4, server 16.9)
Running 1 test case...

*** No errors detected
*** tests_schemas in 0.612s (user: 0.047s) 26 MB
```

---

From: Dominique Devienne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2025 16:19:33 +0200

> below). I'll be looking at this soon. And will report back. --DD

To close out this thread, I'm happy to report that all is well with
v18 official.
Came a bit as a surprise, given our poor experience with betas and the RC,
but magically all tests pass on the official v18. So a GOOD surprise!

It's not impossible this is due to recent (unrelated) changes on our end...
Good thing I never investigated these v18beta/rc failures, I guess. --DD