Subject: Re: libpq5 error

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2024 08:48:47 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 2024-10-07 at 08:44 -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> > Unknown Error occurred: Transaction test error:\n file 
> > /usr/share/pgsql/postgres.bki from install of 
> > libpq5-17.0-42PGDG.rhel9.x86_64 conflicts with file from package 
> > postgresql-server-15.8-1.module+el9.4.0+25512+c6b50a48.x86_64\n file
> > /usr/share/pgsql/system_constraints.sql from install of 
> > libpq5-17.0-42PGDG.rhel9.x86_64 conflicts with file from package 
> > postgresql-server-15.8-1.module+el9.4.0+25512+c6b50a48.x86_64\n.

Ah ok. So basically it means PostgreSQL is installed from Red Hat
packages, not PGDG. I would suggest you either not to use PGDG repos at
all for consistency, or switch to PGDG repo and use our packages as a
whole.

...or you can edit /etc/yum.repos.d/pgdg-redhat-all.repo file, and add

exclude=libpq5

under the [pgdg-common] section so that dnf will ignore that.

Regards,

-- 
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, PostgreSQL Major Contributor
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR

---

From: Paul Brindusa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2024 09:01:39 +0100

Good morning Devrim,

Is libpq5 an important component that needs the upgrade?
I am wanting to try after Adrian's suggestion yesterday to see if I can
update the repo file first of all since it came with the rest of the
updates.

If that does not solve it, I would consider disabling the package.

-- 
Kind Regards,
Paul Brindusa
[email-masked]

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2024 08:06:26 -0700

> Is libpq5 an important component that needs the upgrade?

 From here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq.html

"libpq is the C application programmer's interface to PostgreSQL. libpq 
is a set of library functions that allow client programs to pass queries 
to the PostgreSQL backend server and to receive the results of these 
queries.

libpq is also the underlying engine for several other PostgreSQL 
application interfaces, including those written for C++, Perl, Python, 
Tcl and ECPG. So some aspects of libpq's behavior will be important to 
you if you use one of those packages. In particular, Section 32.15, 
Section 32.16 and Section 32.19 describe behavior that is visible to the 
user of any application that uses libpq."

To me that is, yes it is important.

> On Tue, Oct 8, 2024 at 8:48 AM Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>     Hi,
> 
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]