Subject: PostgreSQL Account and Object Timestamp Logging

From: 張宸瑋 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2025 10:55:58 +0800

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask if there are any built-in features or extensions in
open-source PostgreSQL—aside from the AUDIT mechanisms—that allow us to
query or log the creation time of user accounts and database objects.

The reason for this inquiry is that while audit logs do capture these
events, they may eventually be rotated out or removed due to housekeeping
policies. Having a dedicated table or view to permanently record the
creation or modification time of accounts and objects would be very helpful
for audit and security compliance purposes.

Thank you in advance for your insights!

---

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2025 20:07:19 -0700

> query or log the creation time of user accounts and database objects.
That information is not captured/retained by a PostgreSQL cluster.  See
many previous discussions from the mailing list archives.

David J.

---

From: Dominique Devienne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2025 10:13:47 +0200

On Fri, Sep 19, 2025 at 4:56 AM 張宸瑋 <[email-masked]> wrote:
> *log* the creation time of user accounts and database objects.

Yes, indirectly, via event triggers:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/event-trigger-matrix.html

But that's specific to a DB, does [NOT fire for CREATE USER/ROLE][1],
only some objects,
and unfortunately, must be SUPERUSER to install it, DB OWNER is not
enough (pity...).

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/event-trigger-matrix.html