Subject: Ora2pg Delta Migration: Oracle to PostgreSQL

From: Amit Sharma <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 20:28:04 -0400

Hello,

Has anyone tried delta/incremental data migration for Oracle to PostgreSQL
using Ora2pg? Or what are the best options to run delta migration for
Oracle to PostgreSQL?

Thanks
Amit

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 23:12:17 -0400

> using Ora2pg? Or what are the best options to run delta migration for

What do the ora2pg docs say about whether or not that feature is
implemented?  (It wasn't when I last used it in 2022.)

---

From: Muhammad Ikram <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 12:24:50 +0500

Hi,

Not related to Ora2PG but in the past I have used the EDB Migration toolkit
for such scenarios. Filterprops option can help in specifying filter (where
clause).

Regards,
Ikram

On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 8:12 AM Ron Johnson <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Has anyone tried delta/incremental data migration for Oracle to
>> PostgreSQL using Ora2pg? Or what are the best options to run delta
>> migration for Oracle to PostgreSQL?
>>
>

-- 
Muhammad Ikram

---

From: Avinash Vallarapu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 05:38:31 -0400

Hi,

> using Ora2pg? Or what are the best options to run delta migration for

There are a few ways of dealing with it when using Ora2Pg.

*Option 1 : *Ora2Pg configuration file allows us to pass the
conditions(predicates) to be applied to a table while migrating the data
from a table. So, if there is a way to filter the data since the last full
load, you can pass the condition to the configuration file, for each table.
This is some work for sure but it works great if you are able to identify
those conditions such as creation_date or last_updated_date, let's say.

*Option2 :* Ora2Pg is currently CDC ready. What this means is that, Ora2Pg
can provide the SCN at which the table copy has been initiated.
Technically, we provide the SCN to the CDC tools or custom CDC techniques
to continue replication since that SCN.

*Option 2.1 :* Leverage Debezium, an Open Source solution to perform
continuous replication from Oracle to PostgreSQL from the SCN produced by
Ora2Pg for that table.

So, it is all about Ora2Pg + Debezium

It might be initially challenging, but you will get there.

Regards,
Avi Vallarapu,
CEO,
HexaCluster Corp.

On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 3:25 AM Muhammad Ikram <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not related to Ora2PG but in the past I have used the EDB Migration
> toolkit for such scenarios. Filterprops option can help in specifying
> filter (where clause).
>
> Regards,
> Ikram
>
>

---

From: Amit Sharma <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 10:19:00 -0400

Thanks Avinash. Appriciate the help!!

Regards
Amit

On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 5:38 AM Avinash Vallarapu <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> *Option2 :* Ora2Pg is currently CDC ready. What this means is that,
> Ora2Pg can provide the SCN at which the table copy has been initiated.